Not For Profit - Account Limitation

WomenAloud
Contributor
Contributor

At the end of my tether. We are a Not-for-Profit Unincorporated Association. We have a constitution and a bank account in the organisation's name. Both of these have been provided to PayPal but we can't get the account limitations lifted and the latest from PayPal is that we need to provide our Charity Registration number. We are not a registered charity (and, being based in Northern Ireland, we CAN'T be a registered charity: we have to be called forward by the charity commission to register). Nor are we tax exempt, so we can't provide a tax exemption certificate - we pay tax. We are compliant with all of our obligations under UK law but PayPal insists that we have to re-register as an Individual or Sole Trader - we're clearly neither of these! Can anyone help?  PayPal do not respond to any of our requests for clarification.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

WomenAloud
Contributor
Contributor

In case anyone else is in a similar situation, I wanted to post an update now that the issue has been resolved. It took a phone call to the PayPal helpline but the advisor was brilliant and got the limitation lifted immediately. We had supplied all the necessary documentation and there was no reason she could see that it hadn't been accepted. So the answer, I suppose, is give them a ring.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WomenAloud

Phone customer services.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

WomenAloud
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your reply. PayPal states in their documentation that they differentiate between registered charities and not-for-profits though? And a sole trader is a completely different legal entity?
Login to Me Too
Solved

WomenAloud
Contributor
Contributor

In case anyone else is in a similar situation, I wanted to post an update now that the issue has been resolved. It took a phone call to the PayPal helpline but the advisor was brilliant and got the limitation lifted immediately. We had supplied all the necessary documentation and there was no reason she could see that it hadn't been accepted. So the answer, I suppose, is give them a ring.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.