I tried to change the name and this caused problems with my account.

Viktor2
New Community Member

Good day!

I tried to change the name and this caused problems with my account.

I'm changing the name to correct the translation errors.

I'm living in Ukraine. I have the internal passport. My name is written in Ukrainian and Russian in the internal passport. This name never was changed.

I created a bank account and PayPal account in 2011. I had no international passport or other document with English version of my name. Bank translated my name to English. This translation was used to issue a card and to create a PayPal account.

Now I have the international passport. Ministry of Foreign Affairs translated my name in a different way. Now that's an official translation. Bank issued a new card using the new translation.

I have to change the name on my PayPal account. That's a minor change, but a difference between the old and new translations is more than 2 characters.

I filled a form to change the name.

I uploaded a scan of my international passport.

PayPal asked for a utility bill confirming my home address. I wrote that apartment I'm living in is a property of my mother, not my property. The utility bill shows her name, not my name.
I uploaded scans of my internal passport as a poof of my home address. Ukrainian laws require the home address to be present in the internal passport.

Several days later I received a message from PayPal telling that my account will be closed.

Now i'm trying to fix this situation.

Today I uploaded additional documents that may help to confirm my address and my identity:
Scan of the phone bill. It shows my home address and my mother's name. Her last name is the same as my last name.
Scans of contract I signed when creating the bank account. My home address is present in the contract.
Screenshots from the site of the bank. They show the card I added to PayPal account and a history of operations with the card.

I dont know if it will help.

Please tell me what exactly I did wrong. I never used a nickname or a fake name. Two organizations (the bank and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) just translated my name in two different ways. I never knew that changing a name on PayPal account will be such a problem.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Viktor2,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

If we have asked for proof of your address it would have to be a document in your name. It does not, however, have to be a utility bill.

Any one of the following documents as well as a utility bill, will be accepted as valid for proof of address:

• Landline telephone bill
  • Council tax bill
  • Bank Statement
  • Credit Card statement
  • P.O. Box
  • Mobile Phone bill
  • Printed payslip

We can accept screenshots of online statements as long as the following information is clear and contained in one screenshot:

• Logo of institution
  • Name
  • Address
  • Valid date of issue (date can be shown in recent transactions)
  • Transactions (if bank account)

Please remember that your proof of address will only be accepted as valid if:

• The name and address match the details on your PayPal account exactly.
  • The documents are no older than 12 months and have visible dates to confirm this

I hope you find this useful.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.