How to verify UK PayPal account when you have a UK bank account in Sterling but a French address?

La_Basse_Cour
Contributor
Contributor

I live in France but I have a UK sterling bank account and a UK PayPal account dating from when I lived in the UK. I can't change the address on the PayPal account because the system only allows UK addresses (unlike our bank account, which is registered at our current French address). 

Since moving abroad I've continued to use PayPal for without problem to take sterling payments from UK customers.  The money stays in the UK and is never converted to Euros - we transfer it to our UK sterling bank account. 

Recently I've been asked to provide address verification details in the form of a bill, but of course ouir present address in France won't match our UK PayPal account.  I've contacted PayPal via the "HELP!" buttons several times over the last three months but I've had no reply.  I wonder if there's any chance of PayPal addressing (no pun intended) the problem via this forum?

Please don't suggest transferring the money to a French based Euro account - this incurs transfer exchange fees and besides, we actually want to keep the money in sterling for expenditure in the UK.  This is fiscally above board as all sterling payments are declared on our income tax returns each year.

So, how can I verify our UK PayPal account with a French address and a UK bank account?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Paypal is country specific so if you move to another country you are supposed to open another paypal account in the country that you are in.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

La_Basse_Cour
Contributor
Contributor

While I appreciate your input, that's not the point.  I already have a separate Euro-based account in France - what I need is a sterling-based account for the UK.

The question is, why can't a supposedly sophisticated international payments company - or even PayPal Cat Wink - cope with such a simple thing as a foreign address when someone has a UK bank account connected to their UK PayPal account to take sterling payments?  It's rather frustrating.

Login to Me Too

DeePee87210
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem as you and I find it equally frustrating. Furthermore, from time to time I wish to pay for eBay purchases in dollars or euros and trying to get a currency exchange within my UK account is possible but not with an easily visible route. Using the search box in Help fails totally whichever search terms I use on this subject. PayPal really does need to look at this issue in a more creative and helpful way.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.