Changing your name after getting married

angelahorsley
New Community Member

I have been using paypal successfully for several years, until I tried to change my surname as I got married one week ago. I emailed a copy of my marriage certificate and was told they needed photograph evidence. Why!!!!!!! do they need to know what I look like. My passport and driving licence are of no use until I can update them with my  new name and that will take a couple of months at least. I am not happy one bit rang them and pointed out my problem was all set to cancel the whole thing and then it was agreed I can carry on using paypal under my maiden name until all the documents are updated. I am still not happy about providing that evidence this country has gone completly mad, I appreciate care has to be taken over our identity in these days of terrorism, but we are losing our country to outsiders. We even had to go through the 3rd degree in the first place to even get married even though we are british citizens born and bred. How I long for the times when life was so much more simpler. Rant over 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi angelahorsley,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

We ask for photo ID when changing a name on a PayPal account because we need to know that the account holder is authorising the name change. The photo ID shows that you are the owner of the account and we can then prove the person named on your marriage certificate is the same person.

This photo ID does not need to be in your married name. ID in the name on your account would be perfect because we would then use the marriage certificate to show the change.

I hope this helps.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.