Are these bogus 'limited account' emails

kaz83
New Community Member

I keep getting emails apparently from PayPal saying my account has been limited but they don't look right. PayPal usually email me using my name not 'dear paypal customer'. They also have a link sayin 'click here' to access your account.  One email also contained a form requesting name, paypal account, password etc.  I have received a number of these 'limited account' emails however i am still using Paypal to pay for items with no problems - Can anyone shed any light - Are these real requests from Paypal and what exactly is limited about my account?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Please do not click any links in them, they are phishing/spoof emails  hoping to gain access to your account.

If there are any problems with your PayPal account you will see them on signing in.

Login to Me Too

chilli635
New Community Member

I have a lot of these emails but if they don't have your name on them and come through in spam just delete them immediately. All emails from paypal will be addressed to you by name.

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Some fake emails are now being addressed to the member. Rule of thumb is don't click any links in PayPal emails just sign into PayPal to check.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey there, just a heads up for everyone. Phishing emails are fake emails that attempt to collect your personal and financial information. These fake emails often link to illegitimate (spoof) websites that encourage you to enter personal information (for example, credit card numbers, passport or driver’s licence number, and account passwords).

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We always address you by your first name and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. For example, an email from PayPal never asks for the numbers of your bank account, debit or credit card, or driver’s license. We also don’t request your email addresses, your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions.
  • The email includes an attachment, a software update to install on your computer, or a hyperlink.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com. Then delete the fake email from your inbox.

Click ‘Safety Advice’ at the top of any PayPal page to learn more about phishing and online safety.

Login to Me Too

sharon1975
New Community Member

Hi All, I received an email yesterday on this subject but my pc security advised me it was fraudulent.  Checked on here just to make sure, am fairly new to this so glad to see I did the right thing.  Will send on details to paypal.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Please forward that e-mail to spoof@paypal.com, and our fraud team will take a look at that. Just to be safe. Mark the e-mail as “SPAM” and delete from your folder. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.