Almost genuine phishing emails from PayPal

sicknote60
New Community Member

Over the last couple of weeks I have received emails from PayPal stating I have paid  £39.00 to Skype if fact I got two in a row. They are very authentic but do not click on the link at the bottom of the page. Go to your Paypal account via Ebay to check. I f you click on the link it could cost you dearly.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Yes, it's a very common e-mail, which probably means a lot of people fall for it. The biggest giveaway is that it addresses you as 'PayPal Client' rather than your actual name.

Login to Me Too

nncharlie
New Community Member

I've just recieved one of these too. My daughter spotted that the mail address was paypol not paypal. very authentic and i was nearly fooled!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hello, these fraudsters and their e-mails would seem to be constantly working on their fake e-mails. However you’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We always address you by your first name and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. For example, an email from PayPal never asks for the numbers of your bank account, debit or credit card, or driver’s license. We also don’t request your email addresses, your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions.
  • The email includes an attachment, a software update to install on your computer, or a hyperlink.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com. Then delete the fake email from your inbox.

Click ‘Safety Advice’ at the top of any PayPal page to learn more about phishing and online safety. Hope that helps.

Login to Me Too

BlAdEAnGeL
Contributor
Contributor

I got one this morning as well, forwarded ove to PayPal

> From: services dot web at paypaI.int.com
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 21:07:41 -0500
>
> Dear Valued User,
>
>
>
> You just changed your security questions. Please keep your security questions safe because if you ever forget your password, we'll ask you your security questions instead.
>
> If you didn't make these changes, please click here : http://*********/paypal/details.htm and restore your account. It's important to let us know because it helps us to prevent fraudsters from stealing your information.
>
>
>
> Just a reminder:
>
> * Never share your password or security questions with anyone.
> * Create passwords that are hard to guess and don't use personal information. Include uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols.
>
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> PayPaI

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there BIAdEAnGeL,

The main give away with this email is the fact that it does not address you with your first and second name.

Thanks for posting and sharing with other customers!

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

pandvlin

H,i I have just had a new one, as above, paypal customer but stating my account has been limited. Beware unsecured routers and dongal's. I understand that they now have equipment to pull e-mail details from the air. If going away hotels campsites etc are a good place to sit outside of and go phishing.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey there, thanks for the tips, The PayPal Safety Advice offers other tips and techniques on how to stay safe online including an ecommerce safety guide etc.
For more information, click the "Safety Advice" link on any PayPal webpage. Good luck

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.