Refund to another credit card

MohamedAk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I use Paypal SDK to authorize and capture payments. Consider below scenario:

A user can have more than one credit card and he uses one card to do the payment. After the capture operation success, I need to do a refund.

Can i specify a different card to do the Refund operation in PayPal?

Or the refund will settle to the same card which used to do the payment?

Is this a valid business scenario in Paypal?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
If you use the actual Refund API then it will be refunded back to the original card that was used. If you want to do a refund to a different card you could use the DoNonReferencedCredit API, which allows you to credit any credit card without referencing an original order. Keep in mind that if you don't use the actual Refund API / feature then you will not be refunded back the fee that PayPal took from the original payment.
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

MohamedAk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi angelleye,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is it possible to call DoNonReferencedCredit operation using PayPal .NET SDK?

As I read in the references, this operation mentioned only under SOAP and NVP not under .NET SDK.

And also SOAP/ NVP methods deprecated ? 

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Well, I'm actually not finding the equivalent in the REST APIs. They have the classic APIs listed as deprecated, but in truth they are not going away any time soon. Way too many integrations still using it for them to pull that. I'm still using classic pretty heavily myself for this very reason...can't always find the same functionality in the REST API.

So you should be able to use this SDK (https://github.com/paypal/merchant-sdk-dotnet) to handle DoNonReferencedCredit, or you may just need to build the request yourself.
Login to Me Too

MohamedAk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi angelleye,

I am already using PayPal .NET SDK (https://github.com/paypal/PayPal-NET-SDK) and done authorize, reauthorize and capture functions. 

You mean to use the merchant sdk only for DoNonReferencedCredit operations? Or do I need to replace the existing SDK?

Thank you. 

Login to Me Too

MohamedAk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I went through DoNonReferencedCredit and RefundTransaction areas in the merchant-sdk.

There are no places it was specified to input another credit card details to do the #Refund.

The only input is transactionId.

Could you explain bit about this scenario. 

Regards. 

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Right, you can't do this with the Refund API because to refund something requires an original transaction to reference for a refund. That is why you need to use the DoNonReferencedCredit API...so that you can credit a card without any original reference. That API does have parameters to pass in the CC details.
Login to Me Too

MohamedAk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi angelleye,

Thanks for quick reply.

I refer RefundTransaction functions in merchant-skd. I could not find any CC information as input.

Basically my problem is, i have done a Authorization Capture and now i want to do a Refund Capture, to a different credit card. 

Using RefundTransaction in merchant-sdk, can i do this operation?

Regards,

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

I don't know how else to say this.  RefundTransaction only works against an original transaction and would refund the money back to the original card.  So you cannot use that API if you want to credit a different card.  Instead, you would use DoNonReferencedCredit.  If the SDK you're using does not support that API then you'll need to use the classic SDK instead, or build out the NVP request yourself.

Login to Me Too

MohamedAk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks angelleye,

While using DoNonReferencedCredit API, can we use a Credit card token number without input all the credit card information (CC number, cvv, etc..)?

Regards

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.