PayPal IPN - subscr_eot sent after subscr_cancel ?

mcfc_4heatons
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if IPN subscr_eot should be sent at the end of a subscription term if the user has cancelled their subscription beofre the subscription term is up.

When I tested after subscr_cancel was sent sunscr_eot wasn't sent at the end of the term.

On one hand I can see the logic in this, but the trouble is some users will cancel their subscription early in PayPal either by accident or because they're paranoid about automated payments, the scenario then is how do we keep their subscription/access alive on our side after subscr_cancel is sent if sunscr_eot is not sent later at end of the subscription

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

MTS_Andre

Hi, if a user canceled the subscription you will receive the subscr_cancel IPN and no further IPNs should be triggered for the same. This is because the subscription is not active anymore so shouldn't trigger any further IPN.

You could check when a subscr_cancel is sent and check with the customer what happened, if they canceled for mistake or not. In case it was a mistake then you can re-create a new one.

Login to Me Too

mcfc_4heatons
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, the problem with this if people cancel their subscription they sometimes still want access for the duration of their subscription from start to original expiry date. If our systems removes member access on subscr_cancel thats a problem, so best way to handle this. Log subscr_canel and cross check date?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

MTS_Andre

Yes, that would be the way, checking the date you set in your database. If your system does not give anymore the access to the service when the subscr_cancel is triggered then you could check the date as well so to make sure that the service is still provided for the remaining time, based on your use case.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.