selling a car

dwilber
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to sell a car through Craigslist and someone that has not seen the car said they would buy the car for the asking price, $4200 and use their Paypal account.  They have not seen the car, except for pictures on here and I am a bit leary of using this because I have never used paypal and it is a big amount.  The man claims to be overseas and is a marine engineer.  They said they would have an agent pick up the vehicle after the payment was cleared, but I am still feeling a bit uneasy with this.  If someone posts money to my account, can they stop the payment? 

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

gardenvariety
New Community Member

I had a similar experience trying to sell a snowblower.  The buyer said she would have her movers pick it up at our house.  I asked for cash and suggested she send the cash with the movers.  I never heard from her again.  It sounded like a scam to me.  I don't know the paypal answer to the rest of your question.  I will look for others to answer.  I am interested too.

Login to Me Too

Mark44
Contributor
Contributor

You should be aware that if you use PayPal you won't be able to get at your money for THREE WEEKS. PayPal is now holding peoples' money hostage for 21 days after they receive it into their PayPal account, so don't plan on doing anything with it for a while.

Login to Me Too

Meta
New Community Member

I had a just had the same situation.  Someone from Newark NJ.   I don't like it and If he can't make it here then I don't want to do it.  Why would you buy a car that you haven't seen for yourself and then send someone to pick it up?  yeah losers.

Login to Me Too

Twist

Smiley Sad I cannot believe I have just had the same story said to me regarding a vehicle sale. I have not given him anything to send the money to yet as the last time I heard from him was 5 days ago. Did you ever sell the vehicle or just said forget it?

Login to Me Too

dwilber
Contributor
Contributor

No I did not sell it to this guy.  The person started getting very short with me in the emails and I told them to forget about it.  After talking with some people, I didn't think it would be a good idea to sell it to this guy.  Unless you can meet up with them, don't do it.  There are a lot of scams on this.  I ended up having someone call me right afterwards and I sold the vehicle. 

Good luck

Login to Me Too

chiibiie

ughhhh! excuse my lang. but W T F.  This guy sent me the same email about a car im trying to sale for $5000 under the name of David Brooks. Saying he was a marine engineer  and wanted to send his agent to pick up the car. Then sent a bunch of "conformation emails" talking about me having to send $350 to his agent through western union. Then $5350 would go to my account. It seemed fishyyy so I looked into all of this and bam here you are with the same guy. Forgettttt himmmm . deals off ! so glad i seen this !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.