need help with a dispute with an international buyer

heyzell
New Community Member

I sold an item to someone in France who chose International First Class mail. There is no guaranteed delivery on this and I made sure she knew this.Four days later she opened a claim with paypal. I tried to resolve this but she was insistent on the claim. I moved it to a dispute that paypal would resolve. I was not aware that I now need to provide a tracking number. USPS doesn't provide tracking for international First Class mail. What can I do? 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

dshahrox
New Community Member

samething is happening to me and i have no way of tracking what can paypal do. I dont even have the reciept.

Login to Me Too

dshahrox
New Community Member

but mine was to italy.

Login to Me Too

196146n
Contributor
Contributor

Someone from out of state wants to pay for a package I have on craigslist.  He wants my e-mail paypal # and to send it 2nd day UPS.  Should I request another form of mail or just forget it?

Login to Me Too

car-barn
New Community Member

Hi, The tracking number is the long number on the custom slip you had to fill out.  But it probably won't do you any good cause sellers are responsible for the packages until they are delivered.

Hope this helps.  I am in a dispute right now and did provide a tracking number and it is being tracked and they are still going to refund the money.

car-barn

P.S.  Our post office keeps the custom slips for 30 days and they should be able to give it to you in the future.

Login to Me Too

sellingcandy
Contributor
Contributor

There is no tracking avaialble for USPS First Class Mail.  Bottom line, you will not win the dispute via PayPal.

THE ONLY WAY TO WIN A 'NON-DELIVERY' DISPUTE VIA PAYPAL IS TO SHIP THE ITEM WITH A TRACKING NUMBER, AND INCLUDE THE TRACKING NUMBER AS PROOF THAT THE ITEM IS DELIVERED.

PayPal is ruthless.  They have NO regard for a seller unless there is proof the item was delivered.

I've been selling & shipping on eBay for over 10 years, and have lost MANY PayPal cases due to no tracking.

It's terrible, but there's no recourse.  FYI, Spain and Italy are TERRIBLE countries to ship to.  I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you ship via USPS International Priority Mail with Tracking or Express Mail with tracking.

Good luck all!

Login to Me Too

JamesNewton
Contributor
Contributor

shippingcandy, I'm curious if you have any hints for actually shipping via  "USPS InternationaPriority Mail with Tracking". The service offered in PayPal is Global Priority Mail, and it is NOT actually trackable with the code PayPal puts in as the tracking number. That is a customs label number and as far as I can tell, it only shows that the USPS accepted the package from you, and when the package leaves the country /if you are lucky/ and they bother to scan the package. They will NOT scan or talk to you about global priority envelopes, which are the best value for international shipping. Is there some other service you are aware of that "turns on" actual tracking or ensure that the USPS will actually scan the package when the postage is printed online from PayPal? More info in my post on this subject.

Login to Me Too

sellingcandy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

Global Priority Mail is the 'old' name for 'Priority Mail International'.  They are the same service.  USPS International Priority Mail "Flat Rate Envelopes" are not trackable online, nor are the SMALL Flat Rate Boxes.  As most of you know, these are a great value, but they will never win a dispute from a buyer for non-receipt...

The only way to ship a package overseas that can be tracked (via USPS) is by sending a package based on by weight via USPS Priority Mail International, or using the Flat Rate Medium Box or Flat Rate Large Box.  Or, of course USPS Express Mail International....

There is nothing you can do to get a Flat Rate Envelope tracked overseas.... It's really a shame, but that's just how it works...

So, you have to weigh your odds.... I ship hundreds of Flat Rate Envelopes internationally a week, and LUCKILY, I have very few problems.  But, it does happen.  One of the biggest issues is that sometimes pacakges take longer than usual, and people become impatient, and open the dispute.... 

Good luck all --- if anyone has more questions, just ask 🙂

Login to Me Too

branboyce
Contributor
Contributor

Have you or anyone reading this had any experience with international buyers arranging for their own shipping and  pick-up by their shipping company. Seems to me that this might qualify as confirmation of shipment to a buyer if you get a receipt from the shipping company at pick-up, and non-delivery would be the buyers responsibility, not the sellers.

Login to Me Too

sellingcandy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I ship hundreds of packages overseas each week, and have never heard of someone arrange delivery.

Be careful, don't get scammed by someone.

Bottom line, ship with tracking, and you'll be protected....

Unfortunately, if you ship any other way, you're taking the risk of the buyer not recieving the item(s)...or even scamming you by opening a dispute of non-receipt....in which there's no way you will win it without tracking...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.