issues with my account email

washingtonkt
New Community Member

I recently received the email below. It seems to be from PayPal stating that they have observed fraudulent activities on my account. When I click on the link it sends me to a page that ask for my checking account number and pin.  However, nothing seems to be wrong with my PayPal Account.  Is this actually a message from PayPal, or is someone phishing for information?

Any assistance would be welcomed....

The email reads as follows:

We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason: We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account.

As a precaution, we have limited access to your account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.
Please download the form attached to this email and open it in a web browser. Once opened, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access.

Thank you.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi washingtonkt-

This is not from PayPal.  Unfortunately, you may have already downloaded harmful content onto your computer by downloading what was requested in that email.  Anything you need to do on a PayPal account can be accomplished by opening a new browser window and going to PayPal to securely log in.

I'd strongly recommend running your computer's security to check for malware and keylogging programs.  Also, please forward the message to spoof@paypal.com.

I would encourage you to check out our Identity Theft Guide and Phishing Guide in our Security Center for ways to protect yourself in general online, and to familiarize yourself with the ways that PayPal communicates with our customers to protect your personal and financial information.

Phishing Guide / Challenge: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/antiphishing/CanYouSpotPhi...

Identity Theft Protection (this is a three part series, be sure to follow the additional links): https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/general/UnderstandIdTheft

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.