drop down menu for PayPal button

ahpcandles
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using your "add to cart" button. When using the dropdown (without prices) there are 10 option spaces. I'm wondering if I can make a longer list and how it can be done. Some of my candles have 30 or 40 fragrances to choose from.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

skier
Advisor
Advisor

The Online Button Creator is limited to 10 Dropdown Selections.   In order to do what you have in mind requires a different approach, you need to use "clear text" item button code.   Here's why:

The online button creator generates "hosted" item button code by default, has an item inventory feature and limits you to a maximum of 1,000 saved item code buttons.

The term "hosted" means that specific variables are stored on the PayPal Servers which in turn makes these variables tamper proof. Should you manually add or try to make changes to a "hosted" item button, the changes will be ignored or cause the code to fail. This same feature also limits your ability to customize the code for your specific needs.

You can create "clear text" button code or non-hosted button code online which can then be customized with additional code if desired because the code is not stored on PayPal's Servers. The use of clear text has many advantages as it is more flexible. Listed below are a few reasons for customization.

* Use java scripts.
* Pre-populate the PayPal Screens.
* Dynamically change specific variables such as the "amount" value.
* Need to create a lot of similar buttons using copy and paste.
* Need more that a 1,000 saved item code buttons.
* Require more than 10 text input boxes for Add to Cart Buttons.
* Require more than 2 text input boxes for Buy Now Buttons.
* Need quantity input or quantity selection options on your web page.
* Need amount input or amount selection options on your web page.
* Need to use a different verified email address other than your Account Primary address.
* Need check boxes.
* Need radio buttons.
* Need to customize Subscription Buttons.
* Need to customize Donation Buttons, i.e., add additional text input boxes, check boxes or radio buttons.
* Need a Text/Email or Hyperlink.
* Need to setup button templates.

You can use the the online button creator to save a little coding time. What you need to do is "uncheck" the option for "Save Button At PayPal" in Step 2. Then after you "Create" the button code, in the window that displays the code look for the link that says "Remove Code Protection". Select this link. Your code will be changed to clear text and is now ready for additional customization.

Need button code tips and examples, check out this site.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

ahpcandles
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the explanation and information. It's very helpful but isn't  "Save Button At PayPal" a safety issue?

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

No.

There are trade offs with the type of item button code you're using.  If you want flexibility in your item button coding, then "clear text" is the only way to go.

It's not really a problem using clear text item button code. Yes, it's possible a not so honest customer can change the amount of your item. However, you are responsible for reviewing the transaction and you have the ability of accepting or not accepting the transaction. Should you see that something is not right with the transaction, you simply refund the money back to the not so honest customer. A not so honest customer will not dispute your decision as he or she now knows what you know.

It's important to understand that just because your code is hosted or encrypted, this does not stop a not honest customer from filing a claim and chargeback after a successful transaction. Should that happen, it's quite possible that the not so honest customer will end up with both the merchandise and their refunded money.

Using clear text and PayPal's Website Payment Standard is "secure" from the customer's point of view because the transaction is processed on PayPal's Secure Website. No customer credit card information is shared with you. For example, there's no way you would even know what credit card the customer used. You simply see the funds in your Account, no questions asked.   We been doing our custom scripting and coding for years with no issues. 

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

ahpcandles
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the "save Button at PayPal" off.

I thought I could do a copy/paste of the html from BCES into the display window but it won't let me paste anything in there. I've tried pasting with the protection on and off. When I click on "Remove Code Protection" it defaults to coming back on. I can see the htlm changes but when I come back to it the protection is on again

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Sorry, it's not clear what you're trying to do.  

Regards,

skier 

Login to Me Too

ahpcandles
Contributor
Contributor

create a clear text button as explained above

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

You can use the the online button creator to save a little coding time.

From within your PayPal Account, start by creating a new button, "uncheck" the option for "Save Button At PayPal" in Step 2.

Then after you "Create" the button code, in the window that displays the code look for the link that says "Remove Code Protection". Select this link.

Your code will be changed to clear text and is now ready for additional customization.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

ahpcandles
Contributor
Contributor

when you say "create" the button code, can I copy/paste a code from the site you referred me to?

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

The example site I referred you to is my own code example site.  It has nothing to do with PayPal's site.  My site simply demonstrates the flexibility of what can be done with clear text item button coding.  Feel free to tweak any of the examples for your own use.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.