cancel pending transaction?

BiomedEE
New Community Member
I bought a computer from a place, but they could not process the order as my credit card had changed with a date change. Ok fine, I corrected my expired credit card info (same card but new date). The place told me to now re-order. So I did and they assured first order was cancelled. But the payment I sent on the first order shows a status of "pending" even though the place assures me the order is cancelled. I want to cancel the first transaction. How can I do that? In help it shows stuff about "unclaimed" and so on, but there is no such checkmark available. I just see "pending". I think paypal took the money from my balance and is holding those funds while pending. I want to get that money back, and I need to cancel the transaction. How?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

skier
Advisor
Advisor

You can't cancel the transaction.   It's up to the seller.

The exception is:

If the payment was sent to an email address that is not registered then the sender can cancel it from the transaction details otherwise, if the transaction remains unclaimed for 30 days, it will be returned to the sender.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

BiomedEE
New Community Member

Well how do I get the money back? It is pending, and the funds are not mine to use. The place I bought from says order cancelled, but paypal does not.

Thank you

Login to Me Too

GilroyJ
New Community Member

If you have a "pending" transaction with a merchant, where you have authorized a payment, it is insufficient to go into your PayPal account Profile, and delete that "transaction specific authorization" from your "Pay List", you must contact PayPal directly and have them cancel the transaction.

If you only delete that "transaction specific authorization" from your "Pay List" the merchant will still be paid!! And your only recourse with be to try and get the merchant to refund your money, or take it to the PayPal Resolution Center. Good luck if your transaction is with a florist.

As far as PayPal's 100 Percent Guarantee that unauthorized payments will not be made from your account, I have been told that it does not apply to your deletion of a "transaction specific authorization" from your "Pay List"

Is PayPal's 100 Percent Guarantee real, that unauthorized payments will not be made?

I don't think so.........

Login to Me Too

drmiami
New Community Member

yes - this happened to me tonight. i was out using my paypal debit card at a gas station of all places and i used the card several times and the gas station told me they couldnt accept my charges and so then i go and check my pay pal account and i get two transactions for gas! there was actually a third transaction that got denied. This **bleep** and I am calling pay pal in the morning to make sure i get my money back for the 2nd charge... the gas station says they only gave me one receipt and so the money only came out once, but it came out twice. good luck everyone!

Login to Me Too

lovekites
New Community Member

Skier says it is up to the seller to cancel the transaction.  If they do not what recourse do I have?  I paid by Pay Pal BillMeLater to get protection in case I did not get the service I paid for.  I did not get service and it looks like I do not have protection!  What's up?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.