buyer disputes

Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

My buyer is claiming "not as described". Claiming damage that wasn't there when shipped. I'll give him a full refund just to get out of it even though I stated "no refunds accepted" in my listing. I'm thinking that he's going to return different items to me and keep mine. My question is- when will PayPal refund his money? Will they wait until I get the items back (in same condition that they were shipped in) or when he provides a tracking #. Also, he IS responsible for the return shipping costs, correct?? From reading other experiences on this site, it sounds like as a seller, I don't have a chance at winning. This is only my 2nd sale on eBay, and probably my last!

Login to Me Too
118 REPLIES 118

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

PayPal will refund when the buyer's return delivery confirmation shows that the return shipment has been delivered. The buyer is required to return the item in the same condition as when it was received.

The buyer is required to pay for return shipping.

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but what if the items are not in the same condition as when shipped? I'm getting the feeling that he'll keep my items and send me his old damaged stuff.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

If the item was damaged during shipping, the buyer can't possibly return the item in the same condition as when shipped... the buyer can only return the item in it's received condition. Did you insure the shipment?

Does it sound like a damage during shipping situation?

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

I realize that, I did not insure it, but there's no way that the part that he's claiming that's damaged would be damaged without the rest of it damaged. It couldn't have been damaged during shipment. What I'm afraid of is that he'll send me his already owned broken items in place of mine. He attached photos of his "claimed" damaged items in his dispute, so apparantly those are the ones I will get back, because if he sends my original pieces, he'll be admitting that he took pics of different items. Also, since he started this dispute about 4 days ago, he has not communicated with me yet, isn't that the point of a dispute? But, since I'm willing to give him a refund, maybe he's waiting for me to just click on the "grant full refund" button even though I said in my last message that I would wait for his reply??

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

FyUaaCaaKaaED

the same condition as when it was received.

Oh, now thats frackin rich!!!

like Paypal cares what condition its in!!! the buyer might as well take it out- stomp on it- throw it in the dryer with a bunch of rocks for an hour- take it out and stomp on it again, spill paint on it and call it Susan.......

then stick a postage stamp right on it and drop it off at the ole USPS............

cha CHINGG!!!

Login to Me Too

jodiryne
Contributor
Contributor

I agree i also had a buyer say that the item i shipped was damaged from shipping. he said the item was scratched and the pieces were apart (it was a lego set put together). i just recieved the item back. all the pieces were together and not a scratch was on the minifig. WHERE IS OUR PROTECTION!!!! this is a TOY and this person said it was damaged so he gets his money back even when i had NO RETURNS ACCEPTED. what gives????

Login to Me Too

jlerch
Contributor
Contributor

WHAT ABOUT SELLER PROTECTION? THIS IS SUCH A BUNCH OF BUNK!!  SOMEONE PURCHASED A VERY EXPENSIVE COACH HANDBAG FROM ME AND THE SAME DAY SHE RECEIVED IT SHE FILED A PAYPAL RESOLUTION SAYING THAT IT WAS USED & DAMAGED! PAYPAL HAS RULED IN HER FAVOR, SHE GETS HER MONEY BACK, BUT WHAT WILL I GET? A DAMAGED BAG? WHO KNOWS WHAT THE CRAZIES WILL DO! THIS BAG WAS NEW WITHOUT TAGS WHEN IT LEFT MY HOME!!!! I'M GUESSING THAT IT WAS THE WRONG SIZE OR SHE JUST CHANGED HER MIND, WHO KNOWS SHE WAS A COMPLAINER FROM DAY ONE, SHE COMPLAINED ABOUT MY SHIPPING BEING TOO HIGH SO I BOUGHT HER $20 IN FREEBIES AND INCLUDED IT WITH THE HANDBAG AND THE SHIPPING WAS ONLY $2 DIFFERENCE FROM WHAT I CHARGED. I'M LEFT WITH A LOSS BECAUSE I'M A NICE PERSON.

SO NOW I'M CONCERNED THAT MY HANDBAG WILL BE RETURNED TO ME DAMAGED AND WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT? AND I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A+LISTER WITH 100% SCORING BUT NOW THIS LYING WOMAN HAS SLANDERED MY NAME AND MY SCORE HAS WENT DOWN AND I HAVE HER VERY NEGATIVE COMMENT ON MY PAGE! I AM JUST ABOUT READY TO DELETE MY EBAY & PAYPAL ACCOUNTS. THIS IS SUCH BS!!! THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE PROTECTION FOR SELLERS!

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

Yes! I know exactly how you feel. My buyer was a crazy, complaining before it got to her in Canada. Complained about shipping at some point too. She finally paid me after paypal gave her the money back by mistake. She wasn't happy about it, but fortunately I think it was too late for her to leave bad feedback. 

These people want something for nothing. And that is exactly what she was hoping for.  I didn't make a dime and probably went in the hole a little bit. She got a partial replacement in addition to the original. She thought she didn't have to send it back to get her money back.  that is the only thing we got going for us.  A word of caution, paypal should wait until you tell them you received the item back and it is what you shipped, etc.  If it isn't, then you will have to appeal, etc... like I did. But don't let it go.  If the closing date is close and you don't have it back, get on the phone. Good luck.

Try Bonanzle. I have started, but haven't sold anything yet. Ebay started out one day long ago and built, so maybe this Bonanzle will take off someday... or someone else. All we can hope for.  I guess what we have to do is keep our prices as high as possible within reason to make up for the bad deals we get into.  The cost of doing business. I thought about giving them up too, but if you sell and don't have another outlet, it is kind of hard to back off from them if you need the extra income. It sure puts a bad taste in your mouth!

Good luck and hope it all goes well for you.

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

I have been in a dispute for almost two months. Buyer claimed not as described. I offered money back, buyer didn't want that. I agreed to send her replacement for the damaged items in set. Before I could get them in and send them, she escalated the claim. I still agreed to send them to her and did shortly after she escalated claim. I sent international customs number to PayPal and to the buyer. After all this, I get a notice from Paypal that they had decided in the buyers favor and the items should be returned for a refund. All this time, my money is being held. Buyer calls paypal as the time limit is about to expire, meaning I would have my money and she would have her items. She gives them an all zeros tracking number, they close the claim. I have no money and no product. I spoke with about everyone at PayPal and all I got so far is human error... can't speak for the other agents, can only tell you what I will do... all the time they are lying and promising to call me the next day, etc. Doesn't happen with any of them. The last person says the claim will be settled by a certain date. The buyer either pays me or sends the merchandise back. And if she doesn't do either, PayPal will give me my money as it was their error.  I don't believe a word of it and meanwhile, I am the only one out. Paypal told me such things as it wasn't the way things were usually done. It is almost always settled by having the merchandise sent back and giving a refund.  What kind of review do they do?! and how do they get by with such negligence! And what do they mean by seller protection? Seems to me it is all buyer protection and some of these people seem to just make a habit of complaining that something is wrong, when in fact everything was fine. Shouldn't there be some type of control for these repeat situations I am reading about? I mean come on, if someone has more than one claim, that should throw up a red flag... Well, will see what happens next!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.