buyer disputes

Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

My buyer is claiming "not as described". Claiming damage that wasn't there when shipped. I'll give him a full refund just to get out of it even though I stated "no refunds accepted" in my listing. I'm thinking that he's going to return different items to me and keep mine. My question is- when will PayPal refund his money? Will they wait until I get the items back (in same condition that they were shipped in) or when he provides a tracking #. Also, he IS responsible for the return shipping costs, correct?? From reading other experiences on this site, it sounds like as a seller, I don't have a chance at winning. This is only my 2nd sale on eBay, and probably my last!

Login to Me Too
118 REPLIES 118

Contributor
Contributor

1369ROY,

If I were in your shoes, I would escalate to a Claim NOW!!  Do it before HE does!!  If you've read any of these other posts dealing with the "Buyer Disputes", you would probably know that Ebay/PayPal almost always sides with the Buyer. Once a Dispute is escalated to a Claim, Ebay/PayPal are supposed to look at the communications between Buyer and Seller. Include all your facts, make it good! You are RIGHT, you should win this! But, don't be surprised if you don't, These people don't care much about the Sellers' (apparantly)!! They are protecting the Buyers BIGTIME!!  I guess they figure that they are making their money because of the Buyers, but what they really need to understand, is that there would be NO Buyers without the Sellers!!  There is NO Sellers protection!!  It's SAD!! -- search  BONANZLE

Good Luck with your Claim!

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

A tracking numbers seem to mean nothing to paypal, but make sure you always get one. And confirmation of delivery at least, even if it is a little more. We are being had by PayPal and these people that have found the way to get something for nothing, or at least more for nothing!  Clauses in your listing seem to mean very little to people who are pulling this scam. For the honest people it will mean something to them and they are the ones you don't have to worry about anyway.  I have to wonder why ebay has a refund/return policy as it seems to mean nothing when there is a problem. 3 days is just that as is 7, 14, 30, etc... so why isn't it abided by?  If I get something and there is a problem, I would be more than happy to send it back in 3 days.  Good luck.

Login to Me Too

skyeguy2003
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding USPS tracking information provided by EBay, it is marginal at best, sometimes inaccurate. It is always best to track items using the tracking links provided by PayPal or go to the USPS website directly and enter the tracking number. It is highly unlikely your local PO will have any more information, than is shown by official USPS tracking.

Login to Me Too

aje123
Contributor
Contributor

As a buyer, I cantell you that it is a big disappointment and a big hassle when the post office says something is delivered and it isn't.  I've been in a dispute for 2 months with a seller over an item I paid for and paid $30 bucks for shipping and insurance, only to not receive anything.  So far paypal and Ebay have been of no help.  So it seems, if the post office says it's delivered and it's not, then the buyer gets **bleep**ed, even when it's insured.

Login to Me Too

kaykay
Contributor
Contributor

Who cares if you pass on the cost to the buyer. When the buyers on e-bay figure out that it is not cost effective to buy on e-bay you'll have no one to pass the cost on to.If the seller is corrupt (which they are)and misrepresent the merchandise,(that means Lie) the only person that ends up paying is the honest consumer. If the buyer has to assume the cost  of return, aggravation of paypal procedures and return time and time invested in both, it's cheaper to buy retail. When the seller get the junk back they just resell it to another gullible buyer and hope they are not willing to go through the hassel to return it. Even if I bought at the Flea Market, at least I can see what I'm buying. After what I went through, I can see why the buyers are flipping the scrip. Paypay/E-bay is protecting the Sellers.

Login to Me Too

Temp20240121r
Contributor
Contributor

KayKay - in regards to corrupt sellers they are there.   But the point of this thread is that the seller ALWAYS will lose if the buyer files a complaint - always! 

I don't blame you as a buyer for dumping e-bay & paypal if you are getting ripped by sellers - it is a hassle to straighten out - but as a buyer you will get your money back.   Unfortunately a lot of dishonest buyers rip sellers and the seller has no recourse - a big fat zero.  

The only recourse a seller MAY have that I am aware of (and I haven't investigated this) if you ship by USPS is that you may be able to get them on mail fraud - somehow I dont think Paypal's rule overrule the US govt. 

Login to Me Too

melanieelder
Contributor
Contributor

Buyers do not always get their money back.  If a buyer buys from Hong Kong they get ripped off all the time.  TIme limit to file a complaint against them is protected by e-bay and pay pal!

Login to Me Too

Largo
Contributor
Contributor

What happens if neither side escalates to a claim?

I have some Korean dude with 0% feedback in LA who is sending me mumbled responses I've made to a "Item not as described" that appear to have been made with the magic of Google translate, but he barely ever responds and although I have a ton of evidence to the contrary of his claims, I'm not sure I want to take a hard-line in the remote case that this is just a language barrier problem (which I doubt-I think he's trying some weird scam).

I realize in the seller threads the seller ALWAYS loses, and vice versa in the buyer threads, but if I can just wait out this dispute I'd rather do that if that would settle things (in my favor, of course).

Login to Me Too

clowns
Contributor
Contributor

I thought you only had 45 days to file a claim to Ebay/Pay Pal

Login to Me Too

clowns
Contributor
Contributor

you are right about SOME sellers.  It is a 2-sided street.  I have gotten things on Ebay that should have been thrown away, but normally I do okay.

I am a seller and I have had only a couple of bad experiences. One guy sent me an empty envelope back and claims he returned a $150 watch to me. He had delivery confirmation. I did turn in a fraud complaint with the USPS and am waiting to hear from them.

You can sometimes catch a good deal on Ebay and 99 percent and the sellers and buyers are legit. That 1 percent makes everything seem sour.

Good luck to you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.