buyer disputes

Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

My buyer is claiming "not as described". Claiming damage that wasn't there when shipped. I'll give him a full refund just to get out of it even though I stated "no refunds accepted" in my listing. I'm thinking that he's going to return different items to me and keep mine. My question is- when will PayPal refund his money? Will they wait until I get the items back (in same condition that they were shipped in) or when he provides a tracking #. Also, he IS responsible for the return shipping costs, correct?? From reading other experiences on this site, it sounds like as a seller, I don't have a chance at winning. This is only my 2nd sale on eBay, and probably my last!

Login to Me Too
118 REPLIES 118

Contributor
Contributor

It is so unfair to the honest and good sellers and buyers that these kind of things happen. If they have no way of testing these things they sell, then why are they selling them? Anybody can pick up junk merchandise on garbage day, list it on eBay and say they have no way of testing it! Hopefully PayPal or eBay will follow thru with send it back and get a refund policy for you. No one should be stuck with truly faulty merchandise. I suppose it should be that if the seller advertises a return policy, then it stands. But if a seller doesn't state that the merchandise may or may not be reliable, then why would you think that it doesn't work.  It is obviously hit and miss with people like that. I hope it works out for you!

Login to Me Too

Dingo
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your hopeful words, but unfortunately the matter is settled. Paypal has deemed the case closed as not part of what they do. I'm out $50.
Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

Sorry it didn't work for you. It is just a shame all the way around. And quite frankly, I don't think any of us know what to do about any of it! Other than quit buying and selling. And to most that isn't an option... at least selling. And without buyers, there wouldn't be sellers anyway.  We just have to hope another option comes along. Wish you the best!

Login to Me Too

Green-Ventures
Contributor
Contributor

I had a problem with a coin seller a couple months back, he sold me 3 counterfeit coins.  I at first was just going to write it off as stupidity, but after reading the "NEW" buyer protection eBay had in place I figured I would file a claim, since I had nothing to lose, I already had lost $125.00.  Anyway, to make this short, eBay/PayPal have credited my account for the amount I lost plus shipping.  It took 3 weeks to a month, but I did get my money back, so am happy...Kudos eBay and paypal.

BTW my advice would be have patience when filing it doesn't happen over night.  Both the buyer and sellers storys have to be checked.  You might want to try and resolve the issue between buyer/seller before rushing into a claim or dispute.  Keep any mail you have between the two partys, it may be useful in a dispute.  Use eBay's contact buyer/seller message format, that way you have a copy of back and forth communications...if all that fails file the claim.   GOOD LUCK.

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

This is directed to the "buyer" that won the dispute about the coins. You make it sound like it was a big victory for you to win this dispute. I'm glad that you did, BUT it's no surprise to me that you did. Ebay/Paypal usually sides with the buyer anyway! In your case, you totally SHOULD have won! They're are TOO many corrupt Sellers on ebay, check out "Bonanzle" !!

Login to Me Too

Green-Ventures
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I realize I should have received my money from PP as a "BUYER" as you stated....that's why they call it "BUYER PROTECTION".  I see both sides since I buy/sell on ebay.  I do not offer returns when selling for the very reasons some of you stated.  I may lose a few potental buyers by not offering it, but in the long run stay ahead of the game.  I guess it depends what you sell.  As far as buying from China?  I have, but found if it sounds too good to be true price wise, it probably is.  I have so far (knock on wood), received everything I ordered from China, in the condition stated, but have checked feedback on them VERY carefully before purchasing.  I don't do much with them anymore, because it takes 14 days to get it, hence the "slow boat from China".

Login to Me Too

Grampafrank
Contributor
Contributor

Do you write childrens fairy tails for a living??

Login to Me Too

wk241950

After my experience with PayPal, I suggest that all transactions be in USA only, where YOUR bank can do something about it.

I bought a watch from onlinereplicawatches.com. They sent me the item way past the promised date. I received the item as promised BUT the crown falls out, rendering the item unusable. Contacted them and got excuses to wait till the end of the Chinese New Year. The festivities came and went with no response from the vendor in China.

Contacted PayPal and they said that there was nothing they could do because the item came from overseas and they did not deal with product defects.

Needless to say, I am out of my money and the Chinese are happy, since $200.00 is the equivalent of 3 mos.salary.

Therefore, I agree with this writer... Lets do business inside USA, which is the largest purchaser from overseas vendors and become independent of PAYPAL by using our Credit Cards.

Login to Me Too

clowns
Contributor
Contributor

My husband and I both sell on Ebay. He sells musical equipment and I sell jewelry and misc.  I have come to the conclusion that as long as everything is going smooth it will be okay but the first time you have a problem you are on your own.

Recently my husband sold an acoustic guitar value $800 sold for $400.  The buyer said he recd an electric guitar and wanted his money back. My husband does not deal in electric guitars. My husband shipped his 21 pound box FEDEX and the guitar had a case. He received back a 7 pound box 3 ft x 2 1/2 ft.  He has been going round and round with pay pal and ebay. Paypal gave the buyer his money back even though my husband told them what he received back.

He has not opened the box because he is taking it to the police station to file an incident report. He is also taking it to the post office and filing a mail fraud report. Then he is going to a small claims court to sue Ebay/Pay Pal. 

If everyone was doing this type of thing the seller's would be out of business and so would Ebay.

Good luck to all of your buyers and sellers out there because you are on your own.

Login to Me Too

snowbrat

I had the same problem with a seller in Hong Kong....bought a USB flash memory that was to be 16gb but was only 2gb and paypal would not even allow me to file a claim as not described and well ebay was of no help either...paypal told ebay that a claim was not neccessary.....so I got ripped off and jsut have to deal with it and eat the loss....what really **bleep** me off is I have have 100 % feedback as both a buyer and seller and that does not seem to matter. Ebay owns paypal so we are **bleep**ed either way. This is not the first time I have lost money in a transaction....paypal is hard to win a dispute as a buyer or seller....I have lost money as both. It seems to me that ebay does not care about this anymore....ever since Meg Whitman left ebay has gone downhill very fast....they are losing sellers because of all the fees we now have to pay...and ever since they bought paypal now we have the stupid paypal fee to pay for using it for payment.....so you are not alone. Complaining to ebay or paypal does not do any good. They ignore most complaints or send you a form letter email with a bunch of bull**bleep** in it. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.