buyer disputes

Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

My buyer is claiming "not as described". Claiming damage that wasn't there when shipped. I'll give him a full refund just to get out of it even though I stated "no refunds accepted" in my listing. I'm thinking that he's going to return different items to me and keep mine. My question is- when will PayPal refund his money? Will they wait until I get the items back (in same condition that they were shipped in) or when he provides a tracking #. Also, he IS responsible for the return shipping costs, correct?? From reading other experiences on this site, it sounds like as a seller, I don't have a chance at winning. This is only my 2nd sale on eBay, and probably my last!

Login to Me Too
118 REPLIES 118

Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I just read on the main eBay page that PayPal is no longer mediating disputes. eBay now has a new protection policy, they do the mediating for you, no matter what the payment method was. Check out the eBay page, look for "eBay buyer protection" at the top right of the screen. After going through that procedure, if they deny you, check with your Credit Card issuer, if that was your payment method.   Good Luck!!

Login to Me Too

CAnative
Contributor
Contributor

Is it true that PayPal is not longer accepting dispute claims or mediating disputes? They still feature those options on their webpage.

I filed a claim with eBay Buyer Protection and all I have received is delay tactics.

Here is my tale:

I bought an item from Hong Kong that was not as advertised (it is a phone case that is the wrong size and does not fit the phone it was advertised to be for).

The seller initially made some excuses, offered an inadequate replacement, then stopped responding to my communications. I filed a claim with eBay Buyer Protection; the seller immediately escalated the case to eBay Customer Support. 

I then received an email from eBay indicating they'd make a decision within 48 hours. 5 days later, I send a message to eBay inquiring about the status. They respond saying it takes 7 days and they were placing a hold on my claim for 3 additional days (making it 8 days after the claim was filed). At the 7 day mark, I sent another inquiry only to recieve a response saying they are placing a hold for 10 days on the claim. Seems like alot of who shot John until I go away.

On top of this, the seller is in Hong Kong, has provided no information on returning the item, and I don't believe there is any way to return an item to Hong Kong with tracking information.

Any advice about this new eBay Buyers Protection?  Seems like they are off to a real bad start.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230601I
Contributor
Contributor

I don't buy anything outside of the US for that very reason. 

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

I haven't had to use the "new" ebay buyer protection as of yet because since I lost my last (and first) dispute, I haven't bought or sold ANYTHING! All I know is, ebay better get their act together! They are going to **bleep** a LOT of people off if they don't! The idea behind this whole thing is to MAKE money! NOT lose it!!  And I agree to stay away from ANY International transactions! Lets keep our money HERE in the USA!!  Those people can't be trusted!! They don't trust US!!   Buy AMERICAN!! Be AMERICAN!!!!!!   Agree with me?  Click the thumbs up!!!    Anybody that takes advantage of good people, like us, just trying to sell (or buy) to make a few bucks or to get a good deal--   **bleep**!!!!!!!!!!!   Those are the ones that will be the DEATH of ebay!!     

Login to Me Too

knizhka100
Contributor
Contributor

What if I as a buyer did not receive a shipment at all, as was the case last year?

The USPS office claimed they delivered my package (anti-Virus) from hands to hands. They refused to show the apartment it was "delivered" and I couldn't see the mail woman on multiple pretexts. Both PayPal and eBay stated they had nothing to do with it and I had to deal with the post office. The dispute with USPS took about 2 months (through all bureaucratic stages "change"=overbureaucratization a-la MA is going to bring to any other spheres) and aggravated almost to Senator Kennedy level. After 2 months, I effectively was prevented from the opportunity to dispute with PayPal. Poor nice seller offered me to share losses - not PayPal that now is showing in the history I received "partial refund" (apparently they are trying to take credit for her personal sacrifice.

And how could I live without a reliable anti-Virus (especially given my participation in forums where one cannot be guaranteed from attacks)? I had to buy another one (just downloading from e-net that time). 

PayPal Protection” rule : 

‘PayPal will cover you for the full amount of the item plus original shipping costs, if you do not receive the item..”

I’ve made anothe order this year. What if they “deliver” it the same way? I do know that unionized UPS in my Taxachusetts is much worse than USPS …

Login to Me Too

pjn

The PAYPAlL buyers protection plan can be a joke.  I filed a dispute saying I had not received an order.  After PAYPAL got involved, seller sent a package with only half of what I ordered.  I emailed PAYPAL the date it arrived, but got a form response.  PAYPAL found in sellers favor because they mailed something.  No chance for me to say order was not complete.  Guess this means that sellers can ship an empty box, and as long as they have a receipt saying it was delivered, they get to keep your money and PAYPAL does NOTHING!!

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

It can be a joke both ways I suppose. A lot of good people on both sides and then there are the bad... we all are bound to get burnt once in awhile without true support from ebay or paypal.  You can appeal the decision. It is about like the phoney tracking number, only I was the seller. I sympathize with you. It seems so unfair the way these disputes are handled. The one who comes out ahead is the one who is the most crooked, it seems. Try the appeal. Mine worked, but that is probably because paypal admitted to human error and promised to pay me if she didn't. Of course, they would get it from her. She begrudgedly paid me for my "default" merchandise.  She had an option of sending it all back. I would have been money ahead if she had. 

PayPal just does what is easy, and closes it in whoevers favor ...maybe they flip a coin? At any rate, they want the buyer to send the item back if they aren't satisfied and refund the money. They told me that is the way they do it.  I suppose when a seller doesn't come thru, they get a tracking number and everything is suppose to be okay.  Can the decent buyers and sellers ever win....

Login to Me Too

camaro
Contributor
Contributor

I agree, many honest sellers and honest buyers.

I have a question though I bought a car computer I was under the reasonable assumption it worked. I received it and installed it and it does not work. I contacted the seller and he says they had no way of testing it and there are no refunds.

Is that something that makes sense?

Login to Me Too

jlerch
Contributor
Contributor

my advice would be to remove the computer from the car & file an ebay & paypal dispute asking for your money back! swindlers & liers should not get away with these things, us honest people need to rise up and make a stand! Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Jo

Login to Me Too

camaro
Contributor
Contributor

I did remove it got it boxed up in its original package and ready to ship.

Put in a dispute and just asked for a refund. I will get the part from a junk yard, they atleast will refund my money if the part is DOA.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.