add to cart button

tll68
Contributor
Contributor

When clicking on the Add to Cart button it takes you to the paypal log in screen, it doesn't put the item in your cart. Any ideas on why this is happening. There are about 6 buttons on the page and 2 of them work. I did not create the site but am trying to help someone figure out why they're not working.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

We need to see what is going on, can you provide a URL to web page that has the code?   Else, we can only guess.

One cause could be the design of your web page or site.   Are you using Frames?

If yes, for security reasons, PayPal does not allow the use of their payment pages to be displayed inside of a Frame. When a PayPal page is displayed in a Frame, it is unsecure causing it to time out and/or be blocked.

You can fix this by simply adding target="paypal" in the <form action> tag of the HTML code. This will prevent the PayPal payment page from being displayed in a Frame.

<form target="paypal" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">

Another cause could be your HTML Editor.

HTML Editors like Frontpage 2003, Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expression will automatically enumerate form variables in your HTML code. The variables names will have numbers appended to them (examples - cmd0, business0, item_name0, cmd1, business1, item_name1, hosted_button_id1, cmd2, business2, item_name2, hosted_button_id2, etc).

Since PayPal does not recognize the modified variables, the buttons fail. To fix the problem, you need to remove the numeral after each variable.

Something to check for Frontpage 2003:
1. In Frontpage 2003, go to the top and click on 'Tools'
2. Click 'Page Options'
3. Select the 'General' tab, if not already selected
4. Clear the checkbox next to 'Make ID Unique on Paste'
5. Click the 'OK' button to save your changes

Something to check for Dreamweaver:
1. Open your website in Dreamweaver
2. Click "Edit"
3. Click "Preferences"
4. Under "General", deselect "Rename Form Items When Pasting" - for Dreamweaver MX, this option is located under "Code Rewriting".

Something to check for Microsoft Expression:
1. In MS Expression, Go to Tools
2. Select Page Editor Options
3. Under General, disable Make ID Unique on Paste.

Note: Not sure if this works Dreamweaver versions earlier than 4.

If you are not using Dreamweaver or FrontPage 2003 or Microsoft Expression, check your editor's help files or manually remove the added numbers from the variable names in the HTML source code.

Regards,

skier

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

We need to see what is going on, can you provide a URL to web page that has the code?   Else, we can only guess.

If yes, for security reasons, PayPal does not allow the use of their payment pages to be displayed inside of a Frame. When a PayPal page is displayed in a Frame, it is unsecure causing it to time out and/or be blocked.

You can fix this by simply adding target="paypal" in the <form action> tag of the HTML code. This will prevent the PayPal payment page from being displayed in a Frame.

<form target="paypal" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">

HTML Editors like Frontpage 2003, Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expression will automatically enumerate form variables in your HTML code. The variables names will have numbers appended to them (examples - cmd0, business0, item_name0, cmd1, business1, item_name1, hosted_button_id1, cmd2, business2, item_name2, hosted_button_id2, etc).

Since PayPal does not recognize the modified variables, the buttons fail. To fix the problem, you need to remove the numeral after each variable.

2. Click 'Page Options'

2. Click "Edit"
3. Click "Preferences"
4. Under "General", deselect "Rename Form Items When Pasting" - for Dreamweaver MX, this option is located under "Code Rewriting".

If you are not using Dreamweaver or FrontPage 2003 or Microsoft Expression, check your editor's help files or manually remove the added numbers from the variable names in the HTML source code.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

tll68
Contributor
Contributor

absolutely wonderful. Thanks sooo much. I am using dreamweaver and it did in fact change the name in three places for each button. I went through the code, deleted the extra numerical digit and voila it worked! You are a blessing. Thanks so much.

@skier wrote:

2. Click 'Page Options'

2. Click "Edit"
3. Click "Preferences"

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Thank you, it's nice to know that people do appreciate experienced help.   Most folks just come here and whine and when you do resolve their problem, they don't even acknowledge it.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

stamphappymomma
New Community Member

I'm having a similar problem.  I've created 6 add to cart buttons and they work just fine.  I'm trying to create another one but it just won't work -- first it only took me to the PayPal log-in screen and now I get a window with the following message:

You have requested an outdated version of PayPal. This error often results from the use of bookmarks.

I've created all the buttons exactly the same way, copied and pasted the code provided by PayPal and published all my posts via LiveWriter.  Can anyone help?  Here's the URL for my blog:  http://digicyberscraps-store.blogspot.com.  The entry "Faith Anew" is the one that doesn't work.  Thanks for any help you can give.

stamphappymomma

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.