Why doesn't PayPal Shipping include the option for Priority Mail SMALL FLAT-RATE Boxes?

BaileyQuestion
Contributor
Contributor

Why doesn't PayPal Shipping include the option for Priority Mail SMALL FLAT-RATE Boxes on the shipping options for USPS?

I mail small items and will be almost exclusively using the SMALL Priority Flat-Rate Box.

The only current option for a Priority Flat-Rate Box is "Medium" through the PayPal Shipping Center.  So, my only current option is to choose, "Priority  Mail", then choose "Package", then enter the dimensions, and ship, which can end up costing more than the flat rate.

THE PROBLEM is that the package is subject to weight and zoning, and can cost more than the Flat-Rate.   I choose to use PayPal for the convenience of it being connected to Ebay, and also for the free Delivery Confirmation.

My 2nd PROBLEM is that if I ship directly through the USPS website, it costs more, because I have to pay for the Del. Confirmation.

I'm stuck....please help. 

Thanks!!!

Login to Me Too
66 REPLIES 66

tumbleweeds
Contributor
Contributor

@themediabayer wrote:

I mail small flat rate boxes all the time with nothing more than a flat rate envelope label on them. Never had a bit of trouble.

The problem with themediabayer's solution is that now, due to the rate increases, the flat rate envelope is a different price now ($4.75) than the small flat rate box($4.85), so sooner or later, your shipments are going to start coming back to you or your addressees are going to have to pay the difference in price....

This problem has been going on for more than 6 months now, ever since the flat rate boxes came into existance, but because of the recent USPS rate changes this January, where priority mail is now being charged depending upon the delivery address (zone), it is no longer a flat rate unless you use the flat rate box.

I just want to echo the sentiments of everyone's frustration over Paypal's refusal to correct this situation. Since I sell on both Ebay and also on my own website www.tumbleweedsjewelry.com it requires that I manually handle the non-Ebay shipments ...either I have to manually type in the shipping address into USPS.com site..which allows for typing errors..or take a hit of up to $.60 per shipment because there is no small flat rate box option in the Paypal shipping interface.

I just don't understand why Paypal refuses to correct this problem.

Login to Me Too

txplanebuilder
Contributor
Contributor

Yet another angry user who wants to use the small flat rate boxes.  This is absurd - another example of what happens when a company is a virtual monopoly (EBAY/PAYPAL) and is offshored to the xtent that they are.  Don't kid yourself - they are one and the same companies, and a majority of the employees are outside the USA.

Hopefully this will be just one more nail in the coffin of this monopolistic corporation - I wish that someone would start a viable alternative to PayPal.

Login to Me Too

desertman51

Thanks for all the information about this.  Wow! PayPal has really dropped the ball on this.  Frankly, not offering this service is a rip-off and I probably won't use PayPal for any shipping that I can do somewhere else.  I can't believe that PayPal is suggesting people use the Flat Rate Medium Box rate; it's twice as much.  Great for PayPal and the USPS, a complete rip-off for the consumer.

Login to Me Too

estatebeads
Contributor
Contributor

Don't put anything into a Large Flat Rate Box either.  I just discovered they don't have that option either and I had already sold something on ebay and charged the Large Flat Rate price.

Hire some programmers PAYPAL - If the US governement can get their USPS.com system working surely a private company like your can figure out how to add more shipping options.

Estatebeads

Login to Me Too

MayasMommie
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, I would like to THANK everyone who wrote to PayPal about this issue. I cannot believe this is such a big deal to add all the options that USPS offers on Priority Flat rate. And using a medium box to ship instead of a small?? Really?? Let's see how my buyers like paying twice as much for shipping and how that affects my sales! No thanks!!

Second, I had a few questions for the solution suggestions.

If I use small flat rate box to ship something that is OVER 1 lb. can I still use the package/thick envelope option? I can live with $.30 cents extra as long as it saves me some hasstle time. Also, anyone tried the same tactic for large flat rate boxes? Is the cost significantly higher?

Another question: Endicia...not familiar with at all, in fact never heard of until now. Is it simply for shipping?

Any other sites that are similar to PayPal and offer better options and better customer service?

THANKS again for this thread, it's been extremely helpful!!!

Login to Me Too

JamesNewton
Contributor
Contributor

The package/thick envelope option is NOT a flat rate, it is weight based. For anything more than one pound the price is higher.

@MayasMommie wrote:

If I use small flat rate box to ship something that is OVER 1 lb. can I still use the package/thick envelope option? I can live with $.30 cents extra as long as it saves me some hasstle time. Also, anyone tried the same tactic for large flat rate boxes? Is the cost significantly higher?

Login to Me Too

MayasMommie
Contributor
Contributor

The package/thick envelope option is NOT a flat rate, it is weight based. For anything more than one pound the price is higher

_________

Hi, thanks for responding to my question.

Maybe I was not to clear when I asked.

Since PayPal does not offer small box flat rate option, I wonder if I can still ship in that type of packaging, but use the thick envelope option to pay for postage. I realize that my item may be heavier than 1 lb., but since I am paying higher postage can I still ship in the flat rate box for $5. 25??

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you!!

Login to Me Too

JamesNewton
Contributor
Contributor

I think I see what you are asking... You want to print the lable for the regular priority mail as if you were using a non-flat rate box with LESS than 1 pound in it, which will put $5.24 worth of postage on it, then put that lable on a small flat rate box with MORE than 1 pound of product in it.

That seems ok to me, but I would ask your local post office.

@MayasMommie wrote:

Since PayPal does not offer small box flat rate option, I wonder if I can still ship in that type of packaging, but use the thick envelope option to pay for postage. I realize that my item may be heavier than 1 lb., but since I am paying higher postage can I still ship in the flat rate box for $5. 25??

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you!!

Login to Me Too

stratcat250
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks sara_g, I followed the instructions on your reply and it worked great.  All is good once again.Man Very Happy

Login to Me Too

JamesNewton
Contributor
Contributor

Although it's a great solution, printing labels for priority mail flat rate small boxes through ebay only helps if you sold your item through ebay. Those of us who sell directly via PayPal (shopping cart, buy now buttons, etc...) really can't use that option. We REALLY still need PayPal to make the small flat rate box an option for domestic shipping.

And there should be a warning for international shipments that the flat rate envelope and small flat rate box are not trackable and therefor a risk to the seller. They may be worth the risk, but finding out after years of shipping that they offer no protection was a real annoyance. 

Actually, it would be best if PayPal would just export the sellers address to the USPS website and let us purchase postage from the source without having to re-type or copy/paste every customers information. Click and Ship does a much better job of offering options and explaining the limitations of each. Or if USPS would accept the ship to address in a block of text instead of requiring it to be pasted in bit by bit, but good luck getting the US government to change something.

For that matter, we aren't having much luck with PayPal are we? LOL...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.