Why DOES THE BUYER ALWAYS WIN IN A DISPUTE CASE!!

kellygirl
New Community Member

I cannot even believe how angry that I am right now. This is the second time in one month that PayPal has given the buyer my hard earned money when I have sent proof either through a FAX (because PayPal makes it impossible to send proof that the seller is in the right) or by actually sending tracking # etc. The first time the buyer outright lied & I sent PayPal all of the information & contact that Ebay had recorded that alone was a huge red flag that the buyer was lying. The second time I sent item next day to Canada from U.S. 1st class (a ring) the item was shown shipped from my post office & I had slip to prove it because the buyer did not insure it I was told that without insurance the package could not be tracked for christ sake I sent PayPal the f....... post office receipt as proof I mailed the item. Why do I have to eat the $75.00 plus I originally paid $100.00 for the item, how is it my fault....???? Do I need to insure every item so that I have proof  with tracking # so many people are too cheap to pay for insurance & may not bid on my items. Please someone out there help with a solution so that I do not get F..... again by PayPal. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

tsa
Contributor
Contributor

To alexjapan-there is an internet crime complaint site that alerts the FBI and international police about fraud. I'll keeep you informed as to the outcome or if they want more victims to come forward. We need numbers to force action.

Login to Me Too

Trublueny
Contributor
Contributor

Isn't E bay and Pal Pal supposed to protect us from this type of fraud? they sure claim to!  the web site for internet crimes is IC3.com in case anyone is interested.

Login to Me Too

Bessie

IC3.com will not work for me?

Login to Me Too

robertswww
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The correct URL is...

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3):

http://www.ic3.gov/

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@dan77733 wrote:

I have a claim against me from a buyer who claims that he never received the item he bid on and won. I have been using Priority Mail for years and nothng else and all of a sudden, I have a problem??? The buyer never even contacted me about not receiving the item and instead, just filed a dispute against me. I sent two messages through PayPal and he didnt respond to those either. This took place this past Friday February 5th, 2010. Then, I come online today and see that he's escalated the dispute to a claim which is such crap.

Granted, all I have the Post Office receipt but guess what??? The buyer doesnt have any proof that he didnt receive the item. It's basically his word against mine. What really **bleep** is that whenever its a powerseller, you're basically **bleep**ed.

And for those who have posted above, is the buyer "sflaoaknyc" ??? because if so, then we all know that he's a **bleep** thief and a liar.

dan77733

The buyer doesnt have any proof that he didnt receive the item. It's basically his word against mine.

No, it's not.

He can prove tht he paid you and it is your responsibility to prove that he received the goods.

That is the basis for the contract law environment that you operate under.

If you've been selling for years, then you ought to know better than to send without DC.  If you buy postage on line, it's free, for cripes sake.

Login to Me Too

diner448
Contributor
Contributor

A tracking number will sufice... it shows the routing of the package and the destination (upon reaching it) And that is proof the seller shipped  (that and the fact most sellers use paypal/ebay for purchasing shipping labels... If paypal/ebay disregards this as evidence when a buyer files a false claim of not receiving the item.... you have recourse, if not with paypal then within the legal system. 

When I make purchases... I always check the tracking number to verify where the package is and when it will arrive (so that I will be home to get the package.  I also arrange for packages not to be delivered and left at my door if I am not going to be home (no answer at the door when package arrives) if a buyer does not take care of the package when it is delivered by being home or giving instructions to the postal carrier (and you know, the buyer is aware he has a package coming) and if he opts not to have insurance or signature confirmation it is on the buyer.  The seller is not responsilbe for the buyers irresponsibility or deception.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@diner448 wrote:

... it shows the routing of the package and the destination (upon reaching it) And that is proof the seller shipped  (that and the fact most sellers use paypal/ebay for purchasing shipping labels... If paypal/ebay disregards this as evidence when a buyer files a false claim of not receiving the item.... you have recourse, if not with paypal then within the legal system. 

When I make purchases... I always check the tracking number to verify where the package is and when it will arrive (so that I will be home to get the package.  I also arrange for packages not to be delivered and left at my door if I am not going to be home (no answer at the door when package arrives) if a buyer does not take care of the package when it is delivered by being home or giving instructions to the postal carrier (and you know, the buyer is aware he has a package coming) and if he opts not to have insurance or signature confirmation it is on the buyer.  The seller is not responsilbe for the buyers irresponsibility or deception.

A tracking number will sufice

NOT ALWAYS.

If the value of the item(s) plus shipping is $250.00 or more, you MUST get SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION to be covered by Paypal.  DC won't do it.

Shipments overseas MUST be done by courier to be covered because USPS does not provide DC with overseas shipments.  You can buy the sticker, but the tracking doesn't work.

The numbers on the Customs forms ARE NOT TRACKING NUMBERS for Paypal's purposes because they do not  prove delivery.

Login to Me Too

robertswww
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, this world is full of thieves and liars.  I feel sorry for all those honest, hard working sellers, who get taken advantage of.  All I can pass along is some advice for future transactions...

I always include Delivery Confirmation in all my orders and pay the cost myself.  If it is a high value item, I also include the cost of insurance and pay for it myself.  I pad my selling prices accordingly. I never let the buyer have the option to decline such things, as they can later **bleep** you.

For high dollar items, I also use Delivery Signature Required.  This can be done with FedEx, UPS, or USPS.  Out of country sales are the highest in fraud, so check and double-check their identity, feedback, etc. before sending anything. I also will not sell any high-dollar items overseas, as the associated risk is just too high.

Remember that if they use their PayPal account and pay by credit card, then they can request a refund/reversal from their credit card company.  The chargeback is then passed along by PayPal to you the seller, but PP did not originate it. This can happen to any seller who accepts credit cards via a Merchant Account, and is not PayPal specific.

You want to protect yourself, so arm yourself with as much shipping/delivery proof as possible, and make sure you have the buyers full name, address, phone, email, etc. so if there is a problem you can get in touch with them.  And if they try and defraud you, then you can report them to the FBI, and on various review sites.

Login to Me Too

atog2000
Contributor
Contributor

The oppisite is true in my case I got some defective merchandise and returned it to the seller. Seller never refunded me and since it was not an ebay transaction paypal would not cover it and I am out $554 and my mechandise.

Login to Me Too

cornerman218
Contributor
Contributor

Here's your answer. PayPal could care less about you.... Period. Yes, they have their safeguards and all that to make you feel your money is secure but the fact of the matter is they don't give a flying "BLEEP" about you or your money.

You don't need to be in a dispute to have a problem with Paypal, I sold 3 items, all delivered, all sent positive feedback and yet they still won't release my measly funds. Its a few hundred dollars but that is my grocery money.

Save yourself the aggrivation. Don't use Paypal if your life depends on it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.