What does 'Pending Balance' mean?

Corey
Contributor
Contributor

On my main page it says I have so much available, but a lot more is in pending balance, I click on that, and it doesn't tell me what 'pending balance' means. Can someone explain to me what that means?

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

mycatsmom3
Contributor
Contributor

I have sold (last week + this week) $177.82 worth of stuff on ebay. I get emails saying "YOU'VE GOT CASH!" but where IS the money, anyway? My paypal account which I've had for 5 years doesn't show anything in my "transactions" column. Or any new money anywhere. The reason I'm selling in the first place...is I'm broke.  (And surely I'm not alone in this.) Are you saying they just sit on our money? I've been away from ebay for several years and just came back. Is this THE NEW MATH?  --VA

Login to Me Too

PsyChris

They have simply adopted an escrow system without calling it that. The problem is that a formal escrow is a legal agreement and I think they should at least release funds for shipping. That would solve alot of problems.

I don't see how this protects the buyer or seller. It protects paypal. If you, as the buyer, send me money and I take it out of an ATM 15 minutes later, and then you file a dispute paypal is going to take the money from my account and my funding source to cover a negative balance. If I send you an item, and the money you send me does not clear your bank account. Paypal will attempt to charge your bank account and then give you a negative balance. They will STILL be left holding the money -- they aren't going to take it back from me. It is their fault they allowed the charge to go through.

I don't think people consider how much interest can be earned from these held funds. Not to mention the extra cash they routinely have on hand to reinvest. Banks make money by reinvesting your cash. They should reinvest the money already freely in your account or take up acceptable banking practices and establish a minimum balance. This system is not benefiting anyone but paypal.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have been dealing witht this policy for the last few weeks. I've only had one buyer leave feedback that impacted a sale of a pending item (any sale over 30 USD). So, now I am stuck waiting for the item to be delivered, opened, used and THEN three days after delivery is confirmed I have to call paypal to get the funds released. I've had no automatic release after three days. Another method to keep money longer.

The problem is that buyers far outnumber sellers. While there can be no eBay without buyers --- these holds don't seem to apply to a majority of sellers, just anyone who would like to join eBay and become competition.

Login to Me Too

dlong
Contributor
Contributor

I just got off the phone talking to paypal. Two transactions are pending, for what reason, they couldn't give me a good one. What gives anyone the right to keep someone's money. I shipped both items out today, now I have to wait on my money. I talked to two different people from paypal, one being a supervisor, which still didn't get me anywhere. If I put money in my bank, than the bank turns around and tells me I can't have my money, well, people, that is WRONG!!!! And this is what paypal is doing to me. It's wrong, and I told them so. They already got their part, so why keep mine. I just don't understand how they can do this. If anybody has any answers to this, please explain it to me. All I know, is that when you sell something, whether it be at a business, home or ebay, you want your money, RIGHT. Well, that is all I want, is MY MONEY. IT DOESN'T BELONG TO PAYPAL, NOR EBAY, ITS MINE, I SOLD SOMETHING AND I DESERVE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

val_girl
New Community Member

This is ridiculous! I have had $200 pending for over a week now. We have to beg these buyers to leave feedback to get our money!! I have emailed this guy 3 times, still no feedback! I do have delivery confirmation and it was delivered, still no money!

I agree with mycatsmom3, "The reason I'm selling in the first place...is I'm broke." It is Christmas time, I am a single mom whose kids wants Christmas gifts!!!

Login to Me Too

Fic
New Community Member

I thinkit is ridiculous Paypal holds payments so you cannot use the money to ship and ebay is just as bad.  They suspended me from selling Ugg boots even though I had the recept from Zappos Outlet store.  Proved that to Ugg yet still have not been given clearance.  After I get rid of everything I have to seel after Christmas, I am DON with the the both of them.

Login to Me Too

pt-eb
New Community Member

Just encountered the "holding" of funds today. Let me tell you, I am absolutely furious about it. I agree with all of you sellers, I won't ship until I have the money IN-HAND. I called Paypal today to complain, and asked what I'm supposed to do to ship it. The lady on the phone stated that I would have to front the money "out of my own pocket". Can anyone tell me what the POINT is of having a Paypal account? It's to keep your eBay dealings separate from your personal finances. And now, eBay and Paypal have thrown everything into the mix. NO I will NOT front my own money to pay for shipping. The buyer pays for shipping, and that's what comes down the Paypal wire. If Paypal decides to put a 21 day hold on the funds, then the buyer should be required to wait 21 days for me to ship it. Someone had mentioned this as being extortion. Now, I'm not 100% sure I'd call it that, but I do think this should be illegal. Like you say, they can make interest on OUR money. They're not a middle-man that holds the cash, they're a means of payment and nothing else. I encourage EVERYONE to phone Paypal and complain about this sleezy practice. Sure, I can see them putting a hold on user accounts that have less than 95% feedback, but don't punish ALL of us for negligence and poor business practice of other users.

pt-eb

Login to Me Too

Target362
Contributor
Contributor

@pt-eb wrote:

Just encountered the "holding" of funds today. Let me tell you, I am absolutely furious about it. I agree with all of you sellers, I won't ship until I have the money IN-HAND. I called Paypal today to complain, and asked what I'm supposed to do to ship it. The lady on the phone stated that I would have to front the money "out of my own pocket". Can anyone tell me what the POINT is of having a Paypal account? It's to keep your eBay dealings separate from your personal finances. And now, eBay and Paypal have thrown everything into the mix. NO I will NOT front my own money to pay for shipping. The buyer pays for shipping, and that's what comes down the Paypal wire. If Paypal decides to put a 21 day hold on the funds, then the buyer should be required to wait 21 days for me to ship it. Someone had mentioned this as being extortion. Now, I'm not 100% sure I'd call it that, but I do think this should be illegal. Like you say, they can make interest on OUR money. They're not a middle-man that holds the cash, they're a means of payment and nothing else. I encourage EVERYONE to phone Paypal and complain about this sleezy practice. Sure, I can see them putting a hold on user accounts that have less than 95% feedback, but don't punish ALL of us for negligence and poor business practice of other users.

pt-eb

Personly I HATE when I call paypal. I always hear other people talking in the background. You would think with all the money they get from us they could at least get a better system.

Right now I'm selling a

but I agree with everything you say. I have 100% feedback with a 19 rating.  (everything is postive expect one netural rating)

Login to Me Too

biteme
Contributor
Contributor

Same boat now! This sucks. I want my money. I sold something to an international customer, the guy opened up a dispute because of custom fees he had to pay and went nuts. I have no control over that and now I cant get my money because of him. My funds are in a pending fund. I think this is illegal and paypal should be sued greatly for this. It is called stealing. They are stealing money from you. If the money isnt available to you when someone pays you, then it is called stealing!

another case,  seller gets **bleep**ed. paypal steals. Down with paypal. Hope, you paypal, become enron. Go under. But, give me my money first! Give me my money!

Login to Me Too

newbie44
New Community Member

I'm new to this paypal thing, but i would have never thought that PayPal would be able to do this! When you deposit a check into your account at a bank it generally takes a day to clear, this are electronic transactions that should be even be faster! I have have $140 "pending" for over a week. i want my money!

Login to Me Too

Meez
Contributor
Contributor

I am so disappoint with Pay Pal's "pending balance" option bcz once the buyer recieve what he paid for, then he must have to leave a feedback and if he doesn't, then there's no way we can get money out of our Pay pal pending balance!

I hate this and it's not fair at all....Pay pal needs to change the paying system....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.