What do I do if this is a fraud?

caprice925
New Community Member

Hi

I recently found a bridesmaid's dress on a website I am concerned is fraudulant. I have not been able to find evidence for truth to that so I went ahead and ordered the dress. What happens if I end up never getting the dress? Will I be able to get my money back? Did I just make a really really stupid mistake or will Paypal help me out if I did?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi caprice925-

PayPal does have a Buyer Complaint policy, although recovery is not guaranteed.  You must file within 45 days of the purchase of the item through your account's Resolution Center.  You can learn more about the protection programs PayPal offers for on and off-eBay purchases in Section 13 of the User Agreement or in the Safer Buying section of PayPal's Security Center.

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

Ginger0981
New Community Member

Paypal's and Ebay's 45 day coverage is bogus.  I ordered an item thinking it was in the US. Never did it say the item was coming from China.  It wasn't until a month later when the package arrived that I found out it was coming from China.  I waited so long for the memory for my computer that when it arrived I opened it up and there were stickers on the two sticks of memory the seller sent me stating 1GB each.  I thought this is great now I can get my brother to install the memory!  I left good feedback, thinking number 1 I had a certain period of time to leave feedback before it would reflect on me negatively as not leaving feedback, (so I was stupid).  I did state that it took a month to receive the memory.  And of  course, my luck, it was only 32mb of memory.  The 45 days were obviously no longer covered and I still have not heard from the seller after 3 emails.  From now on I am going to pay with a SECURED CREDIT CARD, NOT PAPAL, because they would immediately refund my money and go after the seller.  I will make sure I NEVER ORDER OUTSIDE OF THE US.  After all,  what ever happened to MADE IN AMERICA, BUY IN AMERICA?  No wonder America is Bankrupt.  And finally, this has taught me a lesson, before buying anything from eBay or papal ask the seller to confirm by email that if the item is not as described, damaged, or not received within a reasonable amount of time, that they will personally refund your money.  At least then you will have something in writing and get your money back from your credit card company. 

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Ginger,

From now on I am going to pay with a SECURED CREDIT CARD, NOT PAPAL, because they would immediately refund my money and go after the seller.  I will make sure I NEVER ORDER OUTSIDE OF THE US.  After all,  what ever happened to MADE IN AMERICA, BUY IN AMERICA?

You detail all sorts of mistakes you made an then you blame paypal.  Whatever happened to taking responsibility for one's own errors?

The 45 day limit is clearly set out in the user agreement, yet you went out of your way not to adhere to it - of course you got shafted.

Paying with a credit card is an excellent idea, IF the credit card will do chargebacks.  Before you make another error make sure that your credit card does.

I will make sure I NEVER ORDER OUTSIDE OF THE US.

Since almost all electronics now come from Asia, you'll find that difficult.

Login to Me Too

nohelp
Contributor
Contributor

I was told today, that the ONLY way paypal will insure your purchases are if they were purchased through ebay. 

Login to Me Too

d-o-n-t-p-l-a-y
Contributor
Contributor

PAYPAL SHOULD HOLD ALL FUNDS TILL YOU DO APPROVE GOOD FEEDBACK AFTER IDEM RECEIVED.... SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT SCREVVED IF YOU SENT MONEY AND DIDNT RECEIVE WHAT YOU ORDERED....PAYPAL WILL NOT HELP YOU IN ANYWAY!  TELL THEM THE TRUTH JASON ADMIN!

Login to Me Too

AdventSabbath
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. I filed a dispute after I did not get an online game account I ordered. Long story short, after weeks of writing emails and such, Paypal finally sent an email saying they could not do anything because the item was intangible. I was asking for a refund, not the account. Stupid people.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Advent Sabbath,

Yep. I filed a dispute after I did not get an online game account I ordered. Long story short, after weeks of writing emails and such, Paypal finally sent an email saying they could not do anything because the item was intangible. I was asking for a refund, not the account. Stupid people.

No, they are correct.

Had you bothered to read the user agreement that you signed when you opened the account, you would have known that Paypal does not cover virtual items ( and a gaming account is a virtual item, by any definition).

You're the one that made the mistake - don't blame Paypal for it.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

PAYPAL SHOULD HOLD ALL FUNDS TILL YOU DO APPROVE GOOD FEEDBACK AFTER IDEM RECEIVED.... SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT SCREVVED IF YOU SENT MONEY AND DIDNT RECEIVE WHAT YOU ORDERED....PAYPAL WILL NOT HELP YOU IN ANYWAY!  TELL THEM THE TRUTH JASON ADMIN!

Smiley Very Happy

Go over to the ebay section and tell that to all the guys complaining about the 21 day hold.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

nohelp,

I was told today, that the ONLY way paypal will insure your purchases are if they were purchased through ebay.

That is incorrect.

There is limited protection available for Items not received, only if the seller has money in their Paypal account.  There is no protection for Items not as described.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.