What Do I do if someone files a false dispute????

2questseekers
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so a lady from Canada ordered some things waited two weeks and filed a dispute because she did not yet recieve her items, which is totally **bleep**ing up my buying and selling abilities. She then later tells me oops it's my fault I gave you the wrong postal code....this was after I sent her the tracking number. I have asked her seveal times to close the case against me and she has not!!!!! What can I do??? Thanks..Robin

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Robin--

Sorry to hear about this... did the item ever arrive at her house, even with the wrong postal code?  If you get confirmed delivery, you're set -- if she escalates it to a claim, you can provide the tracking number and you'll win the case.

Odds are what's going to happen is she's gotten the item and forgotten about the dispute, so after 20 days (20 days from the date she filed it) it will time out and be automatically closed, and there will be no impact on your account.

Keep us informed about how it proceeds.

Colin

Login to Me Too

CHartman
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds good in theory but in reality that's not true!

Sold an item to a buyer in Canada. They claimed it was a replica and wanted a refund. We said FINE, SEND THE ITEM BACK AND WE HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH REFUNDING YOU.  The item was never returned and Paypal refunded the buyer so we lost out on the money and the item.  Lost all confidence in Paypal at that point and will NEVER ship international again!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

CHartman--

Please email me the details for this transaction at crule{at}paypal.com -- this is not the way the PayPal process works, so there must have been a significant error here.  If the buyer files a not as described claim, the only possible outcome a PayPal customer service rep can decide is refund-upon-return -- PayPal never allows the buyer to keep the item and get their money back.  The buyer has to prove the seller received the return just like the seller has to prove the buyer received the item in the first place.

Please send me the details so I can figure out exactly what went wrong here.  My only guess is that maybe the buyer filed a chargeback through their credit card -- unfortunately the credit card rules are different and the buyer can in some cases keep the item and get a refund.  But those aren't PayPal's rules -- those credit card processes govern every purchase where a credit card was used, even if you buy something from WalMart.

Colin

Login to Me Too

CHartman
Contributor
Contributor

Colin,

We were dealing with a bogus purchase of iPods from DHgate that were then sold on ebay. We did not know until after they were all sold that they were replicas so we willingly refunded all buyers that returned the merchandise.  It was a total nightmare that ended up causing us a major financial loss because we paid to ship these items to our buyers but had to refund their shipping back to the buyers as well as pay it to the shipping carrier (generally USPS PRIORITY PLUS DELIVERY CONFIRMATION FEE) plus we were going to be stuck with the bogus items.  

The buyer to the Canada buyer, it took 3 weeks for them to receive their item.

First, items were bought from DHgate with payment thru Paypal.  Second, items were sold on ebay using Paypal as the payment method.  When we found out the items were replicas they were eventually returned to the DHgate seller which cost over $100 in shipping to return the garbage to China and although we had proof the seller received the items, he got the items plus got to keep our purchase money.  We never received the promised refund.  Because DHgate is off-ebay, Paypal wouldnt help.

We were on the phone with Paypal on a daily basis for 2 weeks. The Paypal policy was different with every representative we talked to. Rep's were blatently calling each other liars and saying the previous rep we talked to was WRONG about the policy.  Isnt a policy just that...a policy...that is the same no matter which representative of the same company you're talking to?   It was so far beyond frustrating that we closed our ebay selling accounts and I stopped using Paypal for a while.  I'm still very leary to use Paypal as a way to be paid for anything I'm selling because I'm afraid of chargebacks and having disputes filed against me...which is why i'm doing so much research into Internet Security tonight.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi CHartman--

Wow, sorry for the frustration around this transaction.  Can you clarify something for me... were these replica ipods sold on eBay or off?  Currently PayPal doesn't provide any not-as-described protection off-eBay because we can never know how the items were originally described... once the sale is made, the seller can change or take down the listing, and we never know what it said.  On eBay we have a copy of the original listing, so we can tell if the item was mispresented.

If they were an on-eBay purchase then it sounds like a mistake was made.  Email me the details at crule{at}paypal.com and I'll look into it.

Colin

Login to Me Too

Ilkay
Contributor
Contributor

that has been bad for you

Sign:

Uncensored Gore site  Ogrish

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.