Virtual Goods and PayPal

Jimmybean

I had sold something dealing with virtual goods recently.  I know that a lot of people are getting scammed when they sell virtual goods by the Buyer claiming unauthorized use on their accounts.  It's been a little over a week since I've received the money.  I feel that the Buyer is legit but I'm just paranoid with selling Virtual Goods.  All in all, when should I feel safe that the money is now MINE.  How long does he have to file a dispute claiming unauthorized use even though it wasn't.  I hate being scammed.  =[

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Per the User Agreement, 45 days. 

If you wish to open a Dispute through PayPal's Online Resolution Center you must do so within 45 days of making your payment.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I sell some virtual goods too so I know how you feel.  To me I don't consider the money mine and the deal done until 60 days after payment.  They can file a dispute with PP within 45 days (and yes you will probably get at least one or two jerks a year) or they have 60-90 days depending on their card issuer to file a chargeback with their credit card company.  It can be unfair at times but that's life.  There are other merchant accounts you can use to better reduce fraud with virtual goods based on fraud software that you can see the results of.  Not bashing PP but there is certain software that gives a fraud score on each order and if they used it could give sellers better control of virtual goods or items prior to releasing/shipping the goods.

Login to Me Too

aidanjames
New Community Member

As you are virtual sellers you maybe albe to anser my question of how much protection do I have as a buyer?  I recently tried to purchase virtual goods and after the purchase i was told that the price has increased and would have to settle for a lesser quantity.  I was wondering what i could do to recieve my money back and if pay pal has protection for this?  I have no accepted any items from them and will not because i see that as accepting a compromise i figure that im better recieveing nothing than taking something

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.