Unable to get refund

ushosting
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal is supporting illegal activity.    I ordered a DVD set of the program 7 Days.  I received a burned set of DVDs - everyone knows you can't legally make pirated copies of things and sell them.    While I really didn't receive the item, i.e., the genuine set of DVDs, paypal's reason for not giving me a refund was that I was objecting to the quality of the item and paypal doesn't cover that.  If I simply stated I didn't receive the item, who knows what they would have said.

The reason I state that Paypal is supporting illegal activity is because there is a box to check for pirated or bootlegged goods.   Therefore, paypal knows this is going on and support the sellers in the process.   I don't think it is right.  I would sue the seller, but it turns out the seller is out of Canada.

Paypal should be ashamed of itself.     And yes, the guaranteee is really worthless

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

denysemd
New Community Member

this happened to me today as well.  How can you NOT have protection against someone who conducted a fraudulent and illegal act?  Can someone offer advice?

Login to Me Too

cheesegoat

I bought a couple of box sets, the **bleep**ing cover on one of them has the title of of a different series for gods sake -

Paypal Buyer protection at its finest!   

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

PayPal has two programs to help protect buyers... the Buyer Protection Policy and the Buyer Complaint Policy.

The PayPal Buyer Protection Policy applies to eligible eBay transactions and covers INR (Item Not Received) and SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) claims. When a buyer wins a Buyer Protection Claim, PayPal will reimburse the buyer up to the protection amount ($200.00 or $2,000.00 or uncapped) specified in the eBay listing regardless whether the funds are available in the seller's PayPal account.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy applies to non-eBay transactions and eBay transactions which don't qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection. The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy covers only INR claims... SNAD claims are not covered. When a buyer wins a Buyer Complaint Claim, PayPal will reimburse the buyer ONLY if the funds are available in the seller's PayPal account.

The policy specifics are at the following link...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/c%3Cwbr%3Egi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreem...

If your PayPal payment was credit card or debit card funded and PayPal is unable to refund your payment, contact the issuing card company to dispute the payment.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

It sounds like you filed for "Item Not received" when you should have filed for "Significantly not as described".

With an INR claim, all the seller has to do is post the Delivery Confirmation and you're pooched.

Be sure and choose the right basis for claim.

Login to Me Too

ushosting
Contributor
Contributor

I disagree.   It's a very foolish policy.   All a seller has to do is send an empty box and and the person would not be entitled to a refund.    The fault is in paypal taking the easy way out - a delivery confirmation does not indicate that the item has been received - it only reflects that a package has been delivered.

In my case,  I received an illegally burned copy of network programming.      I bought a boxed set of the series.   So, yes. I did not receive the item I ordered. 

Paypal needs to reevaluate its policy because in fact there is no real protection in place.   It is inaccurate to describe it otherwise.

Login to Me Too

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If I were you I would contact the seller and let him know you are filing complaints with the FBI and the maker of the software you purchased.  CONTACT THE SOFTWARE MAKER!  They have lawyers and legal teams paid to handle people who knowingly distribute cracked copies of their software.  In some cases they have even given legit copies of software in exchange for information leading to the arrest of the couterfeiter.  The person you bought from was witihin the U.S. correct?

Login to Me Too

ushosting
Contributor
Contributor

The vendor described himself as being out of Canada.   Paypal had a checkbox for fraudulent or pirated goods which I checked.   Why have the checkbox unless it could be used as basis for claim.    Note that I did not say I bought software, it was a set of dvds of a tv series

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

The vendor described himself as being out of Canada.

Then contact the RCMP - they handle frauds in Canada

The site's name is RECOL;

https://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx

Login to Me Too

nmack29

I had contacted the internet fraud division of the FBI and filed a claim for $400 worth of items that I had not received from an online vendor.  The FBI site basically states that the FBI receives thousands of claims and does not have the resources to investigate them all.

I actually won my paypal dispute, but received no money as the "seller" had no balance in his account.  Funny - I take in $5 from selling a hockey card and it is held in my account for 21 days to protect the buyer.  This guys gets $400 from my selling balance and is allowed to remove it.  I guess I should start to do the same.  Since the money came out of my balance, Paypal resolution was my only means of getting my money back.  Had I been able to use a credit card I would at least have that to fall back on.

Good luck with your case.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.