You are viewing the PayPal Community Archives. This content may be old or outdated. Leave the Archive
Chat with our moderator team every Wednesday between 1-2pm PT (4-5pm ET). Learn more in Community Events
How do you do that for a simple Buy Now Button? I redirected the post action to the sandbox site, but I can't get the sandbox to response like the live site.
The Sandbox is PayPal's virtual world for testing item button code and dummy credit card transactions. It's mirrors the real world for transactions and notification emails. You can also test PayPal's IPN and PDT features. You can learn more through this link and there are some common sense tips below.
Basic Sandbox Tips:
* Read the Sandbox Documentation first as you will spare yourself a bit of frustration.
Visit PayPal's Developer Central Website:
Select the "How To" Tab, then from the menu, select "Testing"
After that select the "Training Tab", scroll to the bottom of the Page and check out the last item titled "Getting Started with PayPal Sandbox".
* The Sandbox is a virtual world, it's not associated with your live PayPal Account in any way.
* You are not required to have a live PayPal Account to test code in the Sandbox.
* You will need a valid email address to setup your Sandbox Developer Account, suggest using an email not associated with your live PayPal Account. Get a FREE email address, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.
* In order to minimize confusion logging into your different Sandbox Accounts, simply use the same "password" for all of your Sandbox Accounts. This will also save some time as you toggle between accounts.
* Use the "Create a preconfigured buyer and or seller account" option. It's just easier as both bank accounts and credit cards are setup automatically.
* The Sandbox will automatically create an email address for both your Sandbox Business or Seller Account and your Sandbox Personal or Buyer Account. The email address created will be a variation of the address used for your Developer Account.
* All Sandbox "Notification Emails" sent stay in the Sandbox.
* "Hosted" item button code created in the Sandbox will only work in the Sandbox.
* "Hosted" item button created with your live PayPal Account will only work with your live PayPal Account.
* You must first be logged into your Sandbox Developer Account and remain logged in to test your item button code.
* Ensure you are using the same web browser for logging into your Sandbox Developer Account and testing your item button code. For example, if you login to your Sandbox Developer Account using IE, then attempt to test your item button code using Firefox, you will get unexpected results.
Other Notes -
* Sandbox URL: "https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr"
* Live Site URL "https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr"
* If you create non-hosted or non-encrypted item button code in the Sandbox, you can use the same code in your live site by changing the URL of the action line to point to the live PayPal site and the business variable value that's associated with your live PayPal Account.
I went to the Sandbox to try to test my paypal button but it tells me I have a personal account and must have a business account to test it. I do have a business account or I would not have been able to get the button!
Do I have to contact them about this to get it to work?
The process looks very complicated. Why can't they make these things easy?
I have a digital product on clickbabk and the testing of the payment process for that was easy compared with this.
I am sure it could be made a lot easier.
I am having the same problem. I contacted Paypal on how to go to the sandbox and they gave me some form into that didn't do a thing. Very, Very disappointed with Paypal right now. It took me to a website called x.com and I don't have a clue what or if that is a legit Paypal affiliate. Wish they would make this process a bit simpler and when you email them with a question give us the right answer the first time not just a form letter with wrong info