Temporary Hold

VAL
New Community Member

Placed an online order from a merchant for $900.00+ on a Sunday.  Merchant called Monday morning and said item not available.  Said he would refund money. Money was removed from my account on Monday.  Merchant refunded money.  I was able to view on Paypal account those transactions.  Also able to view account withdrawl from my account online.  Paypal now has a hold on my funds.  They claim it will take up to 5 days to receive my money?????

Normal?????

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Amanda411

Hi VAL,

If the funds were withdrawn from a bank account, it takes 3-4 business days for the funds transfer to be complete. If the transaction is cancelled or refunded before the transfer is complete, the funds will be on hold. When the transfer from the bank account is complete, the funds will be credited to your PayPal account balance.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

qiaozhi
New Community Member

Hi Amanda,

I am actually having two of the same problem now. The first one was back in September, here's what paypal says on the transaction page:"Temporary Hold Information: A temporary hold was placed because your Direct Debit or Bank Funding payment was denied or cancelled.The Temporary Hold was released after the funds arrived from your bank account. These funds are now reflected in your PayPal balance." However, my bank account hasn't shown any money was refunded yet. Neither has my paypal account, which was with $0.00 balance 2 months ago and remains the same now. I recently had a same refund transaction again, and I haven't got any money back, neither in my bank account nor in my paypal account. How can I get my money back? Thanks for your help!

qiaozhi

Login to Me Too

Sixela
New Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem. I ordered something from Newegg.com and paid through Paypal. The money ($120) was taken out of my bank account (and transferred to Paypal, which was then paid to Newegg) almost immediately. Newegg.com contacted me and said the item was out of stock and my money would be refunded. Ok, great. So I went to ebay.com and found the product I was looking for for much cheaper ($85) and paid the seller through Paypal (which also pulled money out of my bank account immediately). Now I see that Newegg refunded my $120 but Paypal has decided to put a hold on those funds "until they have arrived from your bank account, which usually takes 3-5 business days." This is absolutely ridiculous, as the funds were taken from my bank account four days ago. Now, I'm left with $30 in my checking account to last me a week and a half until I get paid again if this isn't cleared up. During the holiday season. Thanks a lot, Paypal. I don't understand how electronically transferred funds can take so long to clear. Oh, and here's a supplementary tidbit to my story.... I work at the financial institution the funds came from. Whenever we deal with ACH transactions the funds are available immediately. What's the difference here? Once again, thanks... for making me wonder if I'll be able to provide me & mine with groceries for the next week. 😠

Login to Me Too

Gatorgirl222
Contributor
Contributor

same here except my 400 dollars has been on hold for more than 5 business days getting alittle worried now.

I won an auction on ebay for a video card and the seller refunded my money because he had some problem, but he refunded the money on the 13th and its been atleast 5 business days.

I need my money back paypal.

Login to Me Too

BorisButtuski
New Community Member

Just think of how many thousands of dollars are on "temporary hold" at any given time.

Paypal has a good thing going, interest-wise... at our expense.

Login to Me Too

tw127
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Val....This type of behavior by paypal should be reported either to your states banking authority.  Every state has an agnecy where complaints can be made regarding situations like this.  Also try your state's attorney generals office.

Login to Me Too

integrapunk67
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have any luck ever getting their money back?

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Holds are usually released with 48-72 hours of the D/C showing delivery OR  the buyer leaves feedback.

Does Paypal have the tracking number.  Did you use paypal shipping

Login to Me Too

integrapunk67
Contributor
Contributor

I paid for an auction that the seller flaked out on and claimed "someone else won the second chance offer just before you" and refunded my money (on her side she really didn't get fair market value).

The money was refunded and immediately put on hold.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.