Strange request from seller

jcash74
New Community Member

My question is this,

I have a seller of a item whom wants me to send him a payment through PayPal, but he wants me to gift it?

I have never heard of this and it sounds suspicious.

He says it is cheaper for him because he will be paying the shipping on the item.

Please let me know if this is legit.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

windwarrior
Contributor
Contributor

STOP, RIGHT THERE, This is part of one of the scams, they change the angle from time to time. Please read my DANGER POST. Puchasing items,claim they paid, payment was pending. A paypal dummy letter threat to suspend my membership, II have also had this scam. If you reply any more you will see where this is going. Eventually you will be on the loosing end.If you need any more help or paypal live customer service.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi jcash74-

This is a seller either a) attempting to avoid paying fees for the processing of their transaction or b) attempting to void your ability to dispute the transaction.

For any type of PayPal account, we've added an option for Personal Payments...you can toggle to this option from the PayPal Send Money screen.  If a person sends a Personal payment funded by their PayPal balance or fully from their bank account, the recipient is not charged a fee.  Options for Personal payments include: Gift, Payment Owed, Living Expense, Cash Advance or Other. 

However, because these transactions are of a personal nature and not for a purchase, they can't be disputed. 

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.