Shipping Per Item-How Do You Do That?

HelpNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Just spent 3 hours trying to figure this out? Please, please help.

My shipping cost is 2.95 per item. If buyer adds item to cart, only 2.95 is charged regardless how many units are ordered. I need it to be 2.95 per item not order. So if buyer order 4 items, shipping should be $11.80 not $2.95. Can you imagine!!!!!

I changed Shipping Calculations but it only lets me enter up to a quality of four. I need up to 100 or whatever. 

I followed the directions from this comment and it didn't work. Please help.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/How-to-use-PayPal/shipping-costs/m-p/1129#M382

Thank you so much in advance. Paypal really should make this a standard answer. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Lindabad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have an add to cart button and this worked for me.

Paste the following code in your "add to cart" button html:

<input type="hidden" name="shipping2" value="6.00">

Replace 6.00 with what every you want the additional items shipping cost to be.  In your case I think you want 2.95 shipping for each additional item ordered.

Hope this helps...

Login to Me Too

HelpNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Ugh!! 

I can't believe this is so hard. After another 3 hours, I wasn't able to figure it out. 

Nothing worked. Thank you Lindsey for trying. 

The only solution I came up with was to offer free shipping and include the shipping cost in product cost. 

I'll continue praying for an answer. So if anyone has the solution, please share. 

Thank you all. 

Login to Me Too

Lindabad
Contributor
Contributor

Only other thing I can think of is to put in another line of code before the one I already sent you.  It should be the same except replace the word shipping2 with the word shipping, and the amount should be the flat rate shipping amount that you want for the item.

The idea is that the "shipping" line  tells the cart to apply this flat rate shipping cost if 1 item is ordered, and the "shipping2" line tells the cart the additional amount to charge for each additional item ordered.  In your case I thing both amounts would be the same. 

The only reason I know this is because I created my first cart with paypal over a year ago and the code that was created for the buttons had this already in it.  Now when I create a button, the code is not given to me.  It looks like the button is "hosted" on the paypal site. 

It doesn't seem like it should be this hard does it??  Good luck!

Login to Me Too

gpwebmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ..

Think I figured this out .... having found your post and the link you posted to the shipping help message.  I tried what the other person replying to you had done and that didn't work.  I also did what was on that page with the handling_cart thing. But they kept talking about shipping and shipping2 without giving any real information.  Prior to the change to stored buttons, the code Lindsey suggested right in the button HTML worked fine.  Soooo .... I reasoned that if I removed the entry that was contained in the button set up for shipping fee in the first section of the button set up and entered (numbers changed to what I think yours would be) in the box where it says Advanced Variables in Section 3 of the button setup, it should work .... and it did.  So this is what you would enter in that box and check Advanced Variables (memory here ... so if it looks something like that, check it).  There needs to be a line break between the first line and the second line.

shipping=2.95
shipping2=2.95

Hope this helps you do what you wanted.  It's working for me.

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Check out the shipping/delivery tips and examples here.   They demonstrate the proper use of the override variables and should provide you with some ideas what can be done.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.