Same seller?

stewed
Contributor
Contributor

I recently completed a paypal transaction that was refunded by the seller. A subsequent paypal request was sent to my email account with a different sellers name. What do I do? Is it legitimate?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi stewed-

There's not enough context here to determine what is going on with your situation.  Did the previous seller indicate why they were issuing the refund?  Did they note that they would be sending a new money request?  Did they indicate it may be coming from a different account?  Is the new money request the same amount as the previous one or was that part of the reason for the refund? For example, you bought mulitple items from the seller, so they refunded you in order to send you a combined invoice for everything you purchased.

It's going to be up to you to decide if it's a legitimate request based on your prior work with the seller.  Have you reached out to them at the original email address from the first transaction to ask about the new money request? 

A money request is just that...you're not obligated to pay it, although a seller might report an issue where they've shipped merchandise and the buyer did not follow through their obligation to pay.

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

stewed
Contributor
Contributor

The seller refunded the original payment as indicated on my paypal account. This was a second chance offer and when the refund was made they indicated a message was being sent to my email with another name attached and to pay that account instead. Not sure if it is legitimate as they have now gone outside the confines of ebay directly to me. I don't want this transaction to have an effect on my account I have a perfect ebay track record.

I did send email to both addresses and have not gotten a response yet. I will leave negative feedback if this does not materialize. The new email list the cost in CAD not USD as the original transaction had done.

Please advise.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi stewed-

You should utilize eBay's customer service for this.  A legitimate Second Chance Offer would be extended through eBay, allowing you to stay covered by Buyer Protection for the transaction.

Since you mention this would be done outside of eBay, that does not sound like a legitimate offer and you would not be covered beyond PayPal's Buyer Complaint policy for off-eBay transactions. (You can see more about the two policies within the PayPal Security Center under "Safer Buying.") See if eBay can confirm the legitimacy of the offer and your protection.

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

stewed
Contributor
Contributor

Jason,

Thank you for your assistance. I will contact ebay for their verification on this matter. Have a happy holiday season!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.