Redirect to new URL after payment

Chaswick
New Community Member

After a customer of mine pays at Paypal, how do I redirect them to a new URL from paypal to where info they just paid for is located.?

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

Dodger57
New Community Member

Could use the answer to this one myself.

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi All,

Follow these steps to set up Auto Return:

1. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
  2. Click "Profile" at the top of the page.
  3. Click the "Website Payment Preferences" link in the Selling Preferences column.
  4. Click the Auto Return "On" button.
  5. Review the Return URL Requirements.
  6. Enter the Return URL.
  7. Click "Save

You can also edit this information in your website buttons, retrieve the HTML that you cut and pasted onto your website. In the HTML code, find the variable you wish to edit. The variables have the following names:

• Successful Payment URL = return
  • Canceled Payment URL = cancel_return

Amanda

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

In addition to Amanda's directions for setting up Auto Return, here is how Auto Return works.

* If the buyer pays with a PayPal account, they are automatically taken back to the site.

* If the buyer pays with the Credit Card Option, they are taken to the receipt page where PayPal gives them the chance to print out a receipt. This is a legal requirement. After that, the buyer must click on the "Return to Merchant" link in order to return to the site.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Jazzman
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble is many buyers don't realise they have to click "Return to Merchant Site". Isn't there a way that this can be made more clear?

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

The "only" option you have to change the text.   

The text on the "Return to Merchant" link is controlled by the "cbt" variable. You can change the text however, there is a 65 character limit for your message. This link appears on the final payment page of the Checkout Process when the customer pays with a "Credit Card". Note, this page allows the customer to print a receipt and/or Return to Merchant. You cannot force the customer to select this link and return to your web site.

If you want to change the text on the link there are two methods. The first method is using the
online button creator.

Select "Edit Profile" or "Profile"
Under "Selling Preferences"

If you have previously created and saved any buttons:
You will see "My Saved Buttons"

If you have not created or saved any buttons:
You will see "Create New Button"

Assuming you just want to see how this works,
either way you can create a new button.

For example, create an Add to Cart button.
Go to Step 3 and at the bottom you will see "Advanced Variables"
Note the text box near the bottom of the page. There you can insert extra variables.
For example, to insert the "cbt" variable just enter: cbt=what ever text you want
There's no HTML extras, just the name of the variable, an equal sign and the value.

The second method is assuming you already have created your button
code and it is not "hosted" meaning stored on the PayPal Servers or encrypted.

You would simply include or add the following line of code to your
existing button code:

<input type="hidden" name="cbt" value="what ever text you want">

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Jazzman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I already have buttons and presume they are stored on the Payal server. Aren't all buttons?  So all I need to do is add the code in the variables box and click save. However, this doesn't change the Return Merchant text button, or create new code. I'm not clear really clear how this works. If I just add this code to my button's html web page, does that effect what people see on Paypals server? Sorry confused.

Login to Me Too

Jazzman
Contributor
Contributor

skier
Advisor
Advisor

It's a cookie issue.

Simply delete your web browser's cookies, then close your web browser, reopen it and try your web pages again.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Jazzman
Contributor
Contributor

Tried removing cookies and same result? I still don't understand if any new html code had been generated, and whether I should add it to my web page, or whether the changes will takes place only on the paypal server?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.