Questionable E-mail Alert

josephinem

I have only used paypal once or twice through another service, an recently I have been receiving e-mails with the subject heading "Pay.Pal.Inc Online Banking"<alertaccount@p-aypal.com>

It didn't seem legit... the e-amil was telling me about how there had been an unauthorized attempt to access my account, but rest assured, nothing had been accessed. It then told me to click on this link to report the incident. (Which I didn't)

The link itself did not say www.paypal.com or something like that... it was another site with paypal later in the name. Has anyone else gotten something like this?

I will probably just block the sender if it's just a scam.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Terps86
New Community Member

I received a similar email on December 13, 2009.  I feel it is definitely not legit b/c the email address is alertaccount@p-aypal.com.  I never seen p-aypal.com.  Usually it is paypal.com!!

What does the real PayPal website say about this?

Login to Me Too

RlDDlCK
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I'm the idiot who clicked on the link.  It popped up a web page with all Japanese or Chinese writing.  I realized it was clearly not valid and closed the browser immediately.  Since it didn't take me to a page asking for information, I'm afraid I may have ran into some key logging program or something.  Oh well.  Here goes system restore.

Login to Me Too

brl
Contributor
Contributor

YES  I IGNORED IT WENT TO PAYPAL SIGHT AND I HAD NO PROBLEM LOGGING IN. CLUE* IT WAS SIGNED( PAYPAL SECURITY MANAGER) NO NAME 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Everyone-

If you ever have a question about the legitimacy of an email claiming to be from PayPal, you can forward it to spoof@paypal.com so that we can investigate.  We also have a special area of our site's Security Center called Online Safety Essentials that covers red flags in emails, tools you can use to confirm that an email or site is legitimately part of the eBay / PayPal family and more.  Some of the info is valid not just for PayPal, but for anyone who gets email or browses online.  You can find a 3 part phishing guide within that Online Safety Essentials area here: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/general/UnderstandPhishing

When we receive a report of a site that's pretending to be PayPal, we work very quickly to get that shut down. We welcome any of those emails you might receive.  It helps us and helps others who might receive those messages, too!

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

kensporter
New Community Member

I just received such a questionable email and, as instructed, forwarded to the email address supplied by Jason. I would LOVE to hear back how this gets resolved and what happened to the originators of the bogus email.

Login to Me Too

John1945
New Community Member

I received the message on January 13, 2010.  I ignored it and went to the paypal site where I noticed a heading on scams.

Thanks to you members who reported it.

Login to Me Too

brl
Contributor
Contributor

Yes , I recieved an email on the 13th but it always goes to my spam folder .That is my first hint that it is not legit.Then I see that there is no domain key at the top of the page.The message said that my account info needed to be updated now or my account would be shut down on the 14th. I never respond to these emails ,first thing I do is close out the email and go to Paypal on my own to see if there realy is a problem.From now on I will forward all these emails straight to Paypal as soon as I recieve them.   Thanks for the ALEART.

Login to Me Too

cassandros
New Community Member

On March 19th I received an e-mail that  had what looked like an authentic pay pal heading,  it stated that my account had been put into a limited status due to the suspicions of another party gaining access to my account. It went on to say to rectify the situation they needed more information.  I went on to my account and it seemed fine but I still contacted papal and they researched this and told me that my account was not in limited status and to to file a complaint here.  I guess I should have realized this when the letter appeared in my spam box. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who is dealing with this con.   thank you PayPal for searching and responding so quickly and putting my mind at ease.  cassandros

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.