Primary payment method changed without my consent

Melohawk
Contributor
Contributor

I never keep funds in my Paypal account.I've heard too many stories of funds vanishing out of the Paypal account without the account holder's consent.  Instead I have a seperate checking account (from my household account) that is reserved just for Paypal payments and is linked to my Paypal account as the PRIMARY payment method.

I also have a credit card as a back up and to verify the account. Recently I made two purchases (auctions) and did the normal payment checkout through Paypal, assuming that they would be paid with an e-check from my checking account as usual. Instead I find that, without my consent, these purchases were put on my credit card. This is NOT what I want and I want to know how I can stop this and make Paypal go back to taking funds from the checking account that was set aside for these transactions. On my profile the checking account is still listed as my PRIMARY payment method, nothing has changed. There is no reason for Paypal to have made this change.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Melohawk
Contributor
Contributor

AND as an added piece of info......my primary payment method, the checking account, had ample funds to handle the two recent purchases. Now I can't use Paypal for anything for fear that this will happen again. I do NOT want everything going through my credit card. . .I PAY for my stuff.  The "call us" link on Paypal's contact page doesn't work and returns "internal server error" so I can't get any sort of "number" to make a live call (which only means I get put on ignore until I can wait out the autobot and get through to an "agent"). This kind of stuff is getting awfully frustrating.

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi Melohawk,

Before you send money be sure to check the Payment Method on the Review your payment and send page. If it is not the method you want to use click the "change" link and select another funding method.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

Melohawk
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate that you read my post and tried to make a suggestion. However, I DID check the payment method on the screen and it was the last 4 digits of my bank account that I normally use. THAT"S why I'm so angry and I'm disgusted with the run around that I got  when I could finally get through on the phone. The lame story I was told? - that "a similar amount in the past didn't go through for some purchase so the computer automatically charged my credit card for the current transaction". That just doesn't wash. The computer made a glitch and no one will admit it.  If Paypal's bookkeeping is so lame that the computer can't check current transaction ID's with previous ID's and realize that I have NEVER had a problem with any amount not going through.....then the computer needs an overhaul.  No LIVE person will actually come on the line and deal with this. I get reps that have to always go to a supervisor and the suprevisor won't do any talking, they just hand some sort of story over to the rep to get the call overwith.

Now I'm very leary of using Paypal again. I am looking for another service.

Login to Me Too

inimica
Contributor
Contributor

My primary payment method was ALSO changed without my consent, and now I incur fees from a money market account.  I cannot get through to PayPal to change the charges to my credit card.

Login to Me Too

sk
New Community Member

The best way to use PayPal is to never give them your checking account information.  If you have, then delete it.  Dedicate one credit card for use with Paypal and always use it for all purchases.  That way you retain the benefits of credit card protection and you simply pay your credit card in full each month.  As a side note, never use a debit card either.  Go to your bank and cancel it.  No one should ever have any access to your bank accounts except you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.