Paypal buyer protection fraud

glenonoka
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so I fell for paypal buyers prtection policya dn I was the victum of theft. Paypal ruled in my favor butu sited some hidden policy refusing to refund my money. I am not able to find this hidden policy anywhere, but evidently it exusts.

Who can I go to for resolution? Paypal protects the theif's contact information so I can go after them. I'd really like to go after paypal as I feel they have commited fraud by not being upfront about not protecting me from theft.

Any help????

We have decided in your favor, however, we were unable to recover any funds
from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, recovery
of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Amanda411

Hi glenonoka,

PayPal has two distinct policies for buyers. Please see sections 13.3 and 13.5 for more information on which one applies to your transaction.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

glenonoka
Contributor
Contributor

Your buyer protection protects thieves by shielding their identity preventing prosecution. You really offer no recourse whatsoever to thievery. I had expected more from your company and I feel defrauded. I have done a lot of business with you in the past because I thought you protected my interests. Now that  you have closed my case, you have basicaally washed your hands of the theft, leaving me no options to address the theft.

How do you intend to continue to acquire funds in the future from this thief?Have you moved on, or do you keep the recovery attempts going for a specific period of time. Do you intend to report this theft? Will you give me all the information you have on this thief so that I maay persue hiim legally myself. Only you have the personal information to allow prosecution of this thief since this waas a buy and not a sell.

I have heard from other people today that he may have funds available for recovery as they have received notice of money that is being recovered. They did not get the same inability to recover messaage. Any chance I could get back on the fund recovery list?

Is there any other recourse for me? This theft was substantial, $310. I have done a lot of business with your company as well as ebay in the past. I can't in good conscience continue to do business with either of you if you intend to allow me to be ripped off while providing no assistance for legal prosecution or to continue in your attempt to refund the money that was stolen from me.

I look forward to continuing in the resolution of this theft and doing business with you in the future once it is done.

Thank You

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

glenonoka, If the payment was identified as being for an eBay item, PayPal should refund your payment regardless whether the seller has sufficient funds in his PayPal account. If it was not identified as an eBay item, PayPal will refund only if the funds are available in the seller's PayPal account.

PayPal has two programs to help protect buyers... the Buyer Protection Policy and the Buyer Complaint Policy.

The PayPal Buyer Protection Policy applies to eligible eBay transactions and covers INR (Item Not Received) and SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) claims. When a buyer wins a Buyer Protection Claim, PayPal will reimburse the buyer up to the protection amount ($200.00 or $2,000.00 or uncapped) specified in the eBay listing regardless whether the funds are available in the seller's PayPal account.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy applies to non-eBay transactions and eBay transactions which don't qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection. The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy covers only INR claims... SNAD claims are not covered. When a buyer wins a Buyer Complaint Claim, PayPal will reimburse the buyer ONLY if the funds are available in the seller's PayPal account.

The policy specifics are at the following link...

https://cms.paypal.com/us/c%3Cwbr%3Egi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreem...

Login to Me Too

glenonoka
Contributor
Contributor

I've read the policy.This was a non-ebay item. I still feel that this should thave been presented better up front, because there really is no buyer protection against thieves and that should have been stated more clearly to prevent consumers from believing buyer protection applies to non-ebay items. You can be sure I will never use paypal again for non-ebay items. I am still waiting ti see if I am going to be out $310 before deciding whether I will ever use paypal and ebay for anything in the future.

Does this mean paypal will take no further action against this thief? Does paypal intend to protect this thief from prosecution by refusing to provide me with contact information so I can prosecute this thief?

Login to Me Too

glenonoka
Contributor
Contributor

So typical. Paypal is totally unhelpful. They love to take take their cut and then take a hands off approach. In this case they choose to become an accessory and  shield the thief from prosecution.

OK, I'm done. No point in beating a dead horse. Ebay and paypal will never see a dime from me in the future.

Scumbag criminals.

Login to Me Too

clschake
Contributor
Contributor

time to start a class action lawsuit! get on facebook! Myspace and all you can!!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You're sue-happy.

Paypal DOES make this clear in the User Agreement, so any lawsuit is doomed to fail.

The answer is to recognize that Paypal means every word it says in the User Agreement and act on that basis.

They are not going to create special exemptions for you or anybody else if you do not play by the rules.

Login to Me Too

glenonoka
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal hides this pretty well in the agreement. It took me some time to find it and there was contradictory statements. Paypal is very upfront about your transaction being covered when you make your purchase though, even when it is not. They really should have a big warning stating you are not going to be covered in these types of situations, same as when they do when they say you are covered when you are not. But I guess people wouldn't use the service then. This translates to me that paypal is just a bunch of conniving thieves.  I know I am not going to affect their bottom line much, but I always buy off amazon.com or other retail sites now.  I do my best to tell others how paypal shields thieves from prosecution and that they would be better off using another service like Amazon.

Login to Me Too

luvstampin
Contributor
Contributor

Legally businesses CANNOT give out info pertaining to scammers identities. You can file a police report and they can contact Paypal and get all the info but it cannot be given to you. This is a SAFETY issue.

Example: if someone steals and uses your credit card and you find a fraudulant charge and contact the company or the company contacts you - they cannot give you any info on where that pacakge is going, name, email, phone number,. That can only be released to the police.

So it is NOT paypal protecting frauders.

Please read the policies for non-ebay transactions to help protect yourself better and file a police report. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.