Paypal Thank You Email?

StreamlineNate
New Community Member

Hey everyone, thank you in advance for your help.

I thought sure that there used to be an option when creating a "buy now" button for a customized Thank You email to be sent out to a customer once the payment was received, but for some reason I can't locate it now.

I would like to use the auto / thank you email to deliver a small ebook attachment immediately upon purchase.

Any thoughts on how to make that work?

Thanks!

Nate Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Basically you're referring to what folks do for digital downloads.    Very common question as it comes up all the time.

If you're a non-programmer, then go with a 3rd party Digital Goods Delivery Service.   For example, this service is quite easy to get setup and running.

Next option for Digital Downloads is to enable the Auto Return feature in your Account Profile. After a successful transaction, the buyer is immediately sent back to a specific page where they could download the item. Note, using this method, the URL can be shared with others as it is not secure.

And another option would be to use PayPal's IPN feature along with Auto Return. This method does require additional programming skills. After the payment is processed, PayPal posts the transaction details to your IPN script. At this point, you could have your IPN script either send out an email with the item as an attachment, or an email that has a link to a secure page where the item can be downloaded from.

How Auto Return Works:
* If the buyer pays with a PayPal account, they are automatically taken back to the site.

* If the buyer pays with the Credit Card Option, they are taken to the receipt page where PayPal gives them the chance to print out a receipt. This is a legal requirement. After that, the buyer must click on the "Return to Merchant" link in order to return to the site.

Notes: The Credit Card Option or PayPal Account Optional is turned on by default for new PayPal Premiere and Business accounts. With PayPal Account Optional turned off, people without PayPal accounts must sign up for a PayPal account. They can pay by credit card, but they must agree to sign up for a PayPal account before completing their transactions and making their payments. Only Premiere or Business accounts have PayPal Account Optional in their account profiles. With Personal accounts, the checkout experience is as if PayPal Account Optional were turned off.

To set up Auto Return, you need to turn it on in your Account Profile and enter the return URL that will be used to redirect your buyers back to your site.

Select "Edit Profile"
Under "Selling Preferences"
Select "Website Payment Preferences"
Note first option - Select "On" - Auto Return for Website Payments
Enter the Return URL.
Click "Save."

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.