Payment will not go through- Help!

wcameron
New Community Member

Hi I'm new to PayPal.  I created an account to purchase a gift today.  The person I'm purchasing from needs payment to ship so I chose to use my credit card instead of bank account so it could process sooner.  Every time I try to send the payment I get this message: "Sorry, your payment won't go through. To make it work, you'll need to add money to your account and pay with your PayPal balance."  I even edited my card info to make sure it's correct, I've checked that my limit is set correctly on this site, and I've verified my account thru email and verified my card.  This is not an insufficient funds situation, I am positive.  I contacted my card issuer to see if there was a problem on their end.  They told me to refresh and try again, as it looked like the connection with the merchant timed out.  I tried and got the same message.  I contacted PayPal's customer service and they told me it's a security issue for my protection.  I contacted the merchant who seems legitimate, and he said he's currently receiving paypal payments and had one less than an hour ago.  The paypal customer service person gave very little details but said she can't over ride and made comments that suggested the seller was suspicious.  Has anyone had an issue like this? I don't know what to do, I need to order this item ASAP and can't wait a few days to have bank info go thru. 

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Delkansa2
New Community Member

I'm having the same issues and problems - wish I could talk to someone on the phone to figure it out - I am so frustrated.   How hard can it be to verify a credit card?  I'm just stuck and I want to get a payment to the vendor.  Your not alone - my issue seems to be exactly the same as mine.      Delkansa2

Login to Me Too

RobArmstrong
New Community Member

I'm having the same issue and got the same info.  This is madness!  I actually made two card payments already, on the 3rd, it's not letting me!  Argh! 

Login to Me Too

nightchic43
Contributor
Contributor

So glad to see I'm not alone with this problem. I made 2 "buy it now" purchases recently and when I tried to pay through Paypal, the ONLY option for one of the sellers, I got that message that request could not be completed. I waited-over thirty minutes-and tried again. Same message. I called my Paypal Plus cc bank & verified that there was absolutely no problem with my card, knowing full well that there wasn't a problem. Then I called Paypal customer service. The rep was trying very hard to help but it was very hard to understand some of their speech. We tried every possible approach to send the payment and even the rep couldn't get it done. This was call #1 which was over an hour long. The next day I called again. The rep again tried every way and still no success. They said it may be due to an upgrade they had done and were getting other calls with this same problem. During this time I am emailing the sellers daily explaining how desperately I was trying to get the problem solved. Fortunately both were patient and understanding far beyond imagination. Both even honored my request, at the suggestion of PP cust svc, to send an invoice directly thru PP rather than through their checkout system. I spent about 45 minutes one night with Ebay live chat. Couldn't get it done still yet. Third call-same, no luck but emailed sellers again. One of the sellers accepted other credit cards without using Paypal as their handler so I was able to go ahead and get that payment through using a different credit card. Still one wonderful seller patiently waiting for his money. By day #4 I was getting frustrated & frantic. This seller ONLY accepted PP but was willing to wait until I got things resolved. The rep on day 4 said that the vendor/seller probably needed to make some kind of adjustment at their end to allow my payment to be accepted. At this point I was almost ready to scream!! Just for curiousity I decided to log into my PP account the check things out. I went to profile, edit or add cc  and manage account, and then clicked payment preferences. Well Guess What?!?!?! Somehow it had use bank/debit card as the default for making payments. I have no idea how this happened, This was my first visit to this section of the profile. I don't even own a debit card! Anyway, I clicked use "PP Plus cc" as default payment preference and tried again to send the payment to this poor seller who is being so very sweet about the whole thing. Wonders never cease, it went right through--first try!!  My point is, if any of you are getting this message about the request can not be completed, go to your profile and be sure the settings are correct. If I had known to try this on the first day it would have been wonderful. Too bad the rep didn't happen to suggest checking the profile, but they were trying hard to help me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.