PayPal <> Excel macros for business / USA tax purposes

gaidensensei
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

New face around here but I have been using paypal for some time. 

For the past 3 years, each year I ran excel macros that filters out the downloaded logs in paypal CSV statements and filters them by the results I want into a new sheet within the downloaded version.  So far it works fine in excel 2003 and 2007.

I have been wondering if anyone does similar to this out there?  Perhaps there is someone out there with a code better than what I've tailored? 

Because if you can read what my macro does, it is based on one term each time, thus I have to end up modifying the macro multiple times until I get all the fields I need completed.

Thanks in advance.

Sub ExcelFilter()

Dim LSearchRow As Integer
        Dim LCopyToRow As Integer

On Error GoTo Err_Execute

'Starts search in row 1
        LSearchRow = 1

'Starts copying data to row 1
        LCopyToRow = 2

While Len(Range("A" & CStr(LSearchRow)).Value) > 0

'Enter the status/transaction type here, case sensitive and needs exact wording
            If Range("C" & CStr(LSearchRow)).Value = "Payment Received" Then

'Select row in PaypalFull to copy
                Rows(CStr(LSearchRow) & ":" & CStr(LSearchRow)).Select
                Selection.Copy

'Paste row into the new sheet name
                Sheets("newsheet_name").Select
                Rows(CStr(LCopyToRow) & ":" & CStr(LCopyToRow)).Select
                ActiveSheet.Paste

'Move counter to next row
                LCopyToRow = LCopyToRow + 1

'Go back to the original sheet to resume filtering until end
                Sheets("Filename").Select

End If

LSearchRow = LSearchRow + 1

Wend

'Position on cell A3 in sheet
        Application.CutCopyMode = False
        Range("A3").Select

MsgBox "All matching data has been copied."

Exit Sub

Err_Execute:
        MsgBox "An error occurred."

End Sub

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Just some personal observations from experience.

What really works best is not to rely on your Account Transaction History and it's reporting functions as the entire application is lame at best.  We been using PayPal since 2004 and realized early on that the reporting functions were quite limited and the extra work to download the raw data, import it into Excel and then create macros to extract the data we needed was total overkill.    And the fact that PayPal and Intuit can't seem to find the common ground to work with each other to develop a workable solution for data import/export  is just plain stupid.  But that's another forum thread.

We simply use Quickbooks Pro to manage all of our data and only rely on our Account Transaction History as a backup reference.   Yes, we take the time to enter each transaction into Quickbooks.  Actually it only takes a minute or two input  the transaction data.   Now, we have immediate access to all of our sales transaction information, customer information, shipping costs, processing fees and taxes.  We can run any type of report at any time and when it comes to end of year tax reports.  It's a no brainer.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

gaidensensei
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting.. Thanks for the reply.

One thing I gotta add though, do you do all that at the end of the year?  It's a killer to work on a year's worth just from what I have felt, but I guess that means updating QB daily is the real way to do it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.