PayPal is violating its own policy Section 10.2 - FILE FTC COMPLAINT

msm_35
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the policy change that allows PayPal to arbitrarily hold funds - including shipping which is not refundable anyway under my return policy - on some sales but not on others. I sold a laptop as broken for parts. It was delivered 3 days ago. There is no claim filed. I sold a working computer worth twice as much 2 days later and no hold occurred.

This CANNOT be legal - especially when my accounts are 100% - never an issue from a buyer???

If this has happened to you, go to the Federal Trade Commission site (FTC.gov) and file a consumer complaint.

the policy states:

"

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement, Student Account Agreement, and Acceptable Use Policy
Effective Date: Oct 14, 2009
  • Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement

Beginning October 14, 2009 PayPal user agreement is being amended as follows:

We are revising section 11.3 as follows:

1. We are moving it. It will now be section 10.2.
  2. We are expanding this section to allow us to place a temporary hold on amounts subject to a claim filed by an eBay user, through the eBay resolution process, if your PayPal account is your eBay reimbursement method.
  3. The new language will read:

“10.2 Temporary Holds for Disputed Transactions. If a buyer files a Claim, Chargeback or Reversal on a payment you received, PayPal will place a temporary hold on the funds in your Account to cover the amount of the liability. If you win the dispute or the transaction is eligible for PayPal seller protection, PayPal will lift the temporary hold. If you lose the dispute, PayPal will remove the funds from your Account. This process also applies to claims that a buyer files directly with eBay through the eBay resolution process if your PayPal Account is your reimbursement method for buyer claims.”

Login to Me Too
84 REPLIES 84

cea006
Contributor
Contributor

5blak4. -What is involved in getting a merchant account? I started to fill out the application for one and there was some fine print at the bottom talking about "pending credit approval" and similar. Whats all that about?

Login to Me Too

fourthaxis
Contributor
Contributor

@cea006, If your credit **bleep**, there is an increased risk that you have incentive to charge people's cards unscrupulously.  You can easily see how this causes issues for everyone involved. 

edit:  LOLs they're bleeping S-U-C-K-S.  Let's try again and use it in a sentence, a vacuum **bleep** dirt.

Login to Me Too

5black4
Contributor
Contributor

I am responding to the question about getting a merchant account (account that I can accept Visa/MC).

I have a different business and I have had my merchant account for 15 years to handle the Visa/MC payments. A person can get a merchant account by a variety of merchant service companies.  So I did not get this service just for my eBay sales.

I advise that you contact your personal bank and see who they recommend. This can be a business that has frauds that collect all your financial information...so be very selective on the company that you select.  Ask for and get in print all their fees and service charges.

You have to remember that these people are fee based.

Login to Me Too

bigjim50
Contributor
Contributor

i agree with you thats why i have several attourneys digging deep to check all this out,,it seems paypal does only whats good for paypal. if i see something and i dont get the money right away to use for shippin,,be assured i will not ship,,i promise that and sale will be canceled,,you think if enuff members do it they will  go back to doing business properly?  also theres other ways to pay,,,you can tellk buyer what you will and want do.,,poaypal which is owned by ebay is slowly runing this operation in the ground,,,with the economy like it is and prices dropping all arouind,,they may be cutting their own throat,,,i will continue doing it my way or now way on ebay or paypal.

Login to Me Too

lion276
Contributor
Contributor

Just bumping up a very informative and IMPORTANT thread.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.