PayPal is violating its own policy Section 10.2 - FILE FTC COMPLAINT

msm_35
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the policy change that allows PayPal to arbitrarily hold funds - including shipping which is not refundable anyway under my return policy - on some sales but not on others. I sold a laptop as broken for parts. It was delivered 3 days ago. There is no claim filed. I sold a working computer worth twice as much 2 days later and no hold occurred.

This CANNOT be legal - especially when my accounts are 100% - never an issue from a buyer???

If this has happened to you, go to the Federal Trade Commission site (FTC.gov) and file a consumer complaint.

the policy states:

"

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement, Student Account Agreement, and Acceptable Use Policy
Effective Date: Oct 14, 2009
  • Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement

Beginning October 14, 2009 PayPal user agreement is being amended as follows:

We are revising section 11.3 as follows:

1. We are moving it. It will now be section 10.2.
  2. We are expanding this section to allow us to place a temporary hold on amounts subject to a claim filed by an eBay user, through the eBay resolution process, if your PayPal account is your eBay reimbursement method.
  3. The new language will read:

“10.2 Temporary Holds for Disputed Transactions. If a buyer files a Claim, Chargeback or Reversal on a payment you received, PayPal will place a temporary hold on the funds in your Account to cover the amount of the liability. If you win the dispute or the transaction is eligible for PayPal seller protection, PayPal will lift the temporary hold. If you lose the dispute, PayPal will remove the funds from your Account. This process also applies to claims that a buyer files directly with eBay through the eBay resolution process if your PayPal Account is your reimbursement method for buyer claims.”

Login to Me Too
84 REPLIES 84

wx
New Community Member

Agreed.  This payment hold is **bleep**.  After being given absolutely ZERO forewarning of any such "payment hold" from Paypal/Ebay, I posted some things on line in anticipation of receiving my funds in a timely manner.

I am LIVID, a week ago when the auction closed, I received the funds.  After talking with the rep at Paypal, she ensured me my funds would be released as soon as the delivery had been confirmed. 

My packages have all arrived to the winning bidders as of today & confirmed at FedEx & NOW Paypal said they will hold the funds for an additional 3x days.

WHAT THE **bleep**?  This is not protecting me or the buyer. 

RELEASE MY **bleep** MONEY!!!  ... and put someone on your customer service line that isn't reading a script in response to everything I say.  I want a human to interact with!

Sure, if I had anything less than 100% feedback rating on ebay or had bad transactions in the past, I could understand.  NEITHER of those apply.  I am an upstanding ebayer & have been for 11 years now.

If there are any class actions that get filed against them for this, please let me know, I will be one of the first to sign.

Login to Me Too

Robot_2010
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal put a 21-day hold on ALL my payments even though my feedback is 100%, my seller DSRs are three 5.0s, and one 4.9 (for shipping as some knucklehead though the USPS Priority Shipping at $4.95 was worth scoring me a 1 on even though the price was right on the sticker showing he paid EXACTLY what I did), and I have NEVER had a buyer claim since being a member since 2001.

I have called several times and it's like talking to the Wizard of Oz, a myriad of different answers depending on who you speak to, and broken promises by supervisors to investigate... I never even get a call back or the promised emails that were to be coming within 5 minutes.

I refuse to sell under these conditions and about angry enough to stop buying. And I buy alot.

I have been an eBay customer since 1999 and a PayPal customer since 2001. Never any issues. And this is how the treat a valued customer. If it weren't so pathetic I'd laugh at the slogan on the Paypal log-in page claiming The world’s most-loved way to pay and get paid!

Out of touch with reality, party of one!

Login to Me Too

chomper615

PAY PAL IS CONVENIENT AND THEY USE IT AGAINST US, they are blood sucking leaches!

Login to Me Too

nvbubba
Contributor
Contributor

I am so frustrated with Paypal, and I will never use them again.  Despite selling for years, with a perfect rating, they are now holding funds on everyting I was selling in order to raise Christmas money.  What is worse is that buyers of my items were all very happy and left excellent feed back, but paypal says it still wants to hold for 7 - 21 days...

Many of the 7 day holds have been over with for 10 days, and they still don't release.  I can never get thru to paypal.. no one wil release the money!  I am seriously thinking of not using Ebay either... as both they and paypal already took their money out, but I am left hanging, and won't get any money in time for the holidays!  IS PAY PAL GOING BROKE? OR IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE???? what is going on????

Login to Me Too

5black4
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree...paypal is using its sellers money to put into their own account to get extra interest on thousands of great seller...that do a great job in treating their buyers well. Paypal does not care that we do our "job" they just want to get more money out of us. Correct this is against their own stated policy.

Login to Me Too

temp20180926v

GREED IS MASTER OF EBAY & PAYPAL ---- IN GREED THEY TRUST, ALL OTHER EBAYERS ARE #$*&@!

Login to Me Too

kuddleschnoef
Contributor
Contributor

I demanded from paypal to pay out the interest they earned on MY funds. This is all a bunch of BS....

Never again, Paypal nor ebay...

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The eBay Item Hold policy was announced in January, 2008 (almost 2 years ago) and implemented in April, 2008. Go here...

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

and here...

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/rewardsfaq/index.html#27

to read more about the policy.

When listing an item, you are warned that your payment may be held. The following text appears on the eBay Sell Your Item form...

Select at least one approved electronic payment method listed below.

• Learn more about recent changes to the eBay Accepted Payments Policy.

• PayPal may delay the settlement of funds to ensure smooth transactions.
    - Learn more about PayPal's Payment Holds Policy.

Here's a screenshot...

Login to Me Too

chomper615

I will never contribute 1 penny through pay pay believing they would rip it off of the charity also!!!

Login to Me Too

sotek11
    Contributor
    Contributor

10.6 eBay Item Hold. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on a payment you receive for an eBay transaction when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with the transaction. 

Profdata, you are a d!ckweed. They place a hold on payments for NO GOOD REASON WHATSOEVER!  If a person has no strikes against them and has been an eBay and PayPal member for years, with NO DISPUTES AT ALL, how can that be deemed as high risk? Yet they still placed a hold on my funds. 

The sentence "in its sole discretion" lets them put holds on any account for any reason at all. Which is exactly what they are doing. You and PayScam can quote policy all day long, but the fact is is that PayScam is going to lose a huge number of customers, whether they think they are justified or not. 

It isn't their money to hold, and they apparently lack the brain power to correctly judge when to place holds. I've already contact the BBB and am signing up for the class action suite. Anyhow with a mind of their own would do the same. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.