PayPal Plugin Compatibility Problems

FireSpirit
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the PayPal plugin on my new laptop computer running Windows 7. I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser. The plugin will not work at all. Is anyone else aware of any incompatibility problems with the plugin in Windows 7? And if so, what can be done about it?

It worked perfectly fine on my old computer running Windows Vista & using Firefox. Sure hope someone can help with this. Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
26 REPLIES 26

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Nope as there are issues with the Plug-In.    You need to open a Support Ticket here.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

flyingfisher
Contributor
Contributor

I was not certain what terms to use in order to request a ticket.  Do you have reciommendatisn for each of the choices in that list?

i got the plug in to work with IE, but I never use IE.  I do want to be able to use it with Firefox, which I was able to, until the update to v 3.6

thanks

Login to Me Too

mzann1951
Contributor
Contributor

Pay Pal Plugin won't work with FireFox 3.6 what you have to do is uninstall V3.6 and install V 3.5.8 this is the last update that the Plugin works with so far I have Follow This Link To Download V3.5.8 it works.  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

Login to Me Too

mzann1951
Contributor
Contributor

HERE'S A CURE

First Go to your Control Panel Find the Add/Remove Programs for Windows XP /Programs and Features in Windows Vista

You Must  Uninstall Firefox V3.6 Compleatly.

Then Follow The link Provided To Install FireFox V3.5.8

This is the last verison that the Plugin works with

http://www.mozilla.com/en-us/firefox/all-older.html

Login to Me Too

cajunrick
New Community Member

Is there any intention to update the plugin to work with newer browsers?  If not, is there any replacement that will provide the functionality in newer versions?  I hate to open myself to potential security problems by downgrading my browser.  I think I'd have to stop using the plugin.

Login to Me Too

chicknahaf
Contributor
Contributor

I followed these steps yesterday, and they worked:

I am using Firefox 3.6.2.  I wrote earlier that I was having the same problems everyone is writing about.  This was suggested, I tried it, and I am now able to use PayPal Plugin with Firefox 3.6.2.

1.  Uninstall PayPal Plugin from your computer entirely.

2.  From Firefox, download the installer from PayPal and save it to your desktop.  Do not use it yet!

3.  Close your web browser.

4.  Reboot your computer to start fresh!

5.  Once back up and running, DO NOT OPEN ANY BROWSER, but click the Plugin installer, and follow through the installation steps.

6.  OPEN INTERNET EXPLORER.  More than likely, a page will automatically open asking you if you'd like to continue setting up the Plugin.  Say okay.  (If a page doesn't open, find the Plugin's icon on the toolbar and click on "continue setup".)  Follow the setup options through selecting your security image.  

7.  Now CLOSE INTERNET EXPLORER.

8.  Open Firefox 3.6.2, and voila!, there is the Plugin icon on the toolbar, ready to go!  No setup needed, just use it like you always used to!

I used it to generate a Secure Card from Firefox 3.6.2 last night, and it worked just fine!  I did not downgrade my Firefox.  I don't know why this works, but it does. 

Good luck, all.  Happy shopping with PayPal Plugin!

Best,

chicknahaf 

Login to Me Too

henry20951
On 4/19/2010 I tried this with Firefox 3.6.3, and it appeared that the plug in reinstalled OK in both Firefox and IE using the procedures mentioned above. But then using Firefox 3.6.3, the plugin would pull down and show the various options--but when I select Generate Secure Card (or any other option), nothing happens. That was the same position I had when I started. As others have suggested, reinstalling Firefox 3.5.9 causes everything to work fine. So PayPal, please continue to support this plugin with Firefox. The reason I like it is that it creates new credit card numbers each time, and one can make it a one time card number. Also, for numbers to be used multiple times, one can login and then cause a given number to be cancelled. Very nice features. Sounds like we need to notify Steve Gibson at Security Now and hope his publicity can help PayPal decide to continue this capability of the Paypal Plugin.
Login to Me Too

mspitt
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar problem. The plugin installs fine. I use the dropdown menu in firefox and it highlists "continue setup". I click on "continue setup" and nothing happens. I downloaded the plugin twice to verify.

Login to Me Too

mspitt
Contributor
Contributor

I gave it some thought and the way paypal installs the plugin it is not supposed to be browser dependednt but computer dependent. Anotherwords it loads in the OS, not a specific browser.

So as muchas I hate microsoft (don't get me started) I opened Internet Explorer, completed the installation there and then closed it and opened my firefox browser and voila! (that's french for "duh").

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.