PayPal Charges ME for a FRAUDULENT transaction?! WHAT TO DO?!

grainger521
New Community Member

I had an eBay transaction that took place last April (nearly a YEAR ago). This buyer bought a DVD series from me. I shipped them, he left positive feedback, I left positive feedback. Transaction closed, right?

Well, I just got a notice from paypal saying that the "buyer" JUST NOW filed a claim with his credit card company saying the transaction was fraudulent (Yes, nearly a YEAR later). Now PAYPAL decided to stick ME, THE SELLER, with the charge, AND ON TOP OF THAT they charged me a chargeback fee of $10.00!! So, now I have an outstanding balance of $90.00 in my paypal account- $80.00 for the DVDs plus a $10.00 chargeback fee. 

If this "buyer" is indeed legit, which I'm skeptical of, then clearly I am just as much a victim of fraud as he is. I DID NOTHING WRONG! But neither the credit card company nor paypal wants to take responsibility for the charge, so they pushed it onto me. I contacted paypal they said is that I would have to have the tracking number to back myself up, which is complete BULL! NO seller would keep tracking info from a transaction that took place a YEAR ago, believing that the transaction had been a smooth, completed transaction. It's such a total cop-out.

I'm getting ready to call my bank for advise. And I saw that someone else contacted the BB. But besides that, whatelse can I do?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

BigKahuna97
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This doesn't sound right......HOW is his credit card company allowing him to chargeback after 12 months?  You need to start asking questions as this is against most credit card agreements.  Can someone answer as to whether the new Obama credit card regulations would have allowed this?  If so I would recommend everyone think twice before accepting credit card payments until this is sorted out.  Please let us know as this is pretty serious.......

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.