Partial Pay an Invoice?

wpdv
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to send a PayPal Invoice to my client for $1000 and have them only pay $500 now.  Can I do this or do I need to send them an invoice for $500 now and $500 at a later time?

Thanks for your help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

They can only pay the amount that is on the invoice.    For example, there's no features or options that would allow you to send an invoice for $100 but, tell the client to only pay $50.   They would have to pay the $100.

However, there's a work around, create a web page whereas  the client can pay his bill online.  You can send them a separate email with the bill but, have them go to your web page and pay the partial amount.   For some ideas, check out the Pay Your Bill Online Examples here.

Regards,

skier

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

skier
Advisor
Advisor

They can only pay the amount that is on the invoice.    For example, there's no features or options that would allow you to send an invoice for $100 but, tell the client to only pay $50.   They would have to pay the $100.

However, there's a work around, create a web page whereas  the client can pay his bill online.  You can send them a separate email with the bill but, have them go to your web page and pay the partial amount.   For some ideas, check out the Pay Your Bill Online Examples here.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

wpdv
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Skier.  I think I'll just send two invoices, one for the deposit and one for the remaining balance.  Thank you for your time and quick reply.

Login to Me Too

mkastler
Contributor
Contributor

Hello...

The need to partially pay an invoice is a fairly standard practice.  Many contractors, servicers, etc. require a 50% down against an invoice in order to get started on the project.  The invoice needs to show the total amount, the down payment and the balance.

Two invoices is NOT a good option because the client may perceive that the first invoice is the full invoice.

Creating a web page is NOT a good option because it's significantly more effort to get an invoice to the client.

Mike

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

You offered negative comments, so what's your solution.  

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Webmusher

My Client has a catalog of several dozen necklaces, bracelets, carvings, etc., most have multiple options like size and 10 or 25 various stone selections. I have set up retail and wholesale catalogs for him and would very much like to create invoices for his clients, many giftshops give him 30% down and invoice the balance.

If I could have a "Add to Invoice" button with a settable price percentage it would just make my day. I wouldn't even mind having to manually rebill in 30 or 60 for the balance. Any viable thoughts or addresses to send it to a real PayPal developer for consideration as an addition?

See: http://fossilivorycarvings.com

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.