PAYPAL ONLY CHARGING ONE SHIPPING CHARGE even when orders are for 2+ of same item

mpb101
Contributor
Contributor
THE PAYPAL 'ADD TO CART' BUTTON IS ONLY CHARGING ONE SHIPPING CHARGE EVEN WHEN CUSTOMERS BUY MORE THAN ONE OF THE SAME ITEM. WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THIS? HOW CAN IT BE FIXED?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

skier
Advisor
Advisor

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THIS? HOW CAN IT BE FIXED?

First, let's not blame anyone and simply just try to resolve your issue.

Next, you need to offer some more information.  How do you have your Account Profile Shipping Table setup?   Are you using a total amount or flat rate, percentage, quantity or weight?   Are you using the shipping override variables in your item button code?  Did you manually code your item button code or did you use the online button creator? 

For example, you may have your shipping table calculations setup for total amount or flat rat which will probably work for most of your items however, for special or unique situations, you may also need to include the use of the shipping override variables.

You can override the shipping charges on a button by including the following variables:

"shipping" and/or, "shipping2". Note, the shipping variables are related to the item it is associated with, not the entire shopping cart. The "shipping" variable is the cost of shipping the first item. The "shipping2" variable is the cost you would charge for additional numbers of the same item. Let's say you charge $1 to ship the first item, but you might give a price break for the anything beyond the first item. So, for purchasing more of the item you would charge $.50 per item (2 through x).

For example:
For clear text item button code, you can override the Profile Shipping Table calculations
by adding the following lines to your extisting button code:

<input type="hidden" name="shipping" value="1.00">
<input type="hidden" name="shipping2" value=".50">

For "hosted" or "encrypted item button code you need to modify button code using
the "Advanced Variables" in Step 3. Note the text box near the bottom of the page.
There you can insert extra variables. For example, to insert the "shipping" and "shipping2"
override variables just enter:
shipping=1.00
shipping2=.50

There's no HTML extras, just the name of the variable, an equal sign and the value.

How to check to see if you have the shipping override enabled.

Note, you have to have at least one shipping method setup for the shipping override variables
to be recognized. If you don't have at least one shipping method setup, you must set one up first.

Next to your name, select Edit Profile.
Under Selling Preferences, select Shipping Calculations.
Under Domestic Shipping Methods, check the Shipping Method Box
Click on View
On the next page, look for "Override Shipping Methods Per Transaction". It should be "ON"
If not, you need to Edit your settings.
Look for "Use the shipping fee in the transaction instead of my calculator's settings:"
Select "Yes"
Save changes

This is all explained in PayPal's Website Payments Standard Integration Guide which can be found here.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

mpb101
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for trying to help me on this, but it still seems like something is not right... Like maybe PayPal needs to adjust the DEFAULT settings. I simply created an Add to Cart button for an mug that costs $5.95 - with $4.50 flat-rate shipping. Then someone ordered three of these items and was only charged one shipping amount of $4.50. It sure seems to me the DEFAULT setting should be that they would be charged 3 times the normal shipping amount. OR, that in the Add to Cart button CREATOR, it would plainly tell you or give you the option to SET THIS CORRECTLY. It certainly makes no sense to me why the DEFAULT setting would be for PayPal to only charge one shipping amount when three of the same items are purchased. I don't want to have to mess with code changes, and I don't see why I should have to. PayPal should have a simple setting to make sure that if someone wants multiple items, they pay the same number of flat-rate shipping fees. I'm still hoping someone from PayPal will address this issue.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.