No longer accepting paypal for purchases

Joseph
Contributor
Contributor

With the fact that paypal thinks they have the right to hold payments made to me (I question the legality of this) I have decided that under no circumstances will I accept payments for purchases made with paypal. I don't know what makes them believe that they have this right. It is my money, and not theirs, I never agreed to this, and I am terribly disappointed that they think it is okay to take my money (the fees that they take when I sell something)  to process transactions, and hold on to the rest of it. I think it is time for a class action lawsuit. 

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

akkayakschool

We are new to ebay and PayPal relationship and are finding they decide to hold $$ from some purchases and not others. Standard answers to the issue from PayPal and ebay are not realisitc, because it is not applied to all transactions. An experienced ebayer recebtly bought from us and we were surprised to see the funds held long after we shipped the item, whcihc was received and we got good marks from long time ebayer. But he was surprised and not happy that his funds were beiung held, yet we were expected to ship on time. Technically speaking, if the funds are not available for withdrawal, have we received a "cleared" payment? As promised though, PayPal seems to release the funds before the 21 days if the buyer gives positive feedback. Something seems "off" with all this. Help please?

Login to Me Too

jefe96
New Community Member

And the Ebay/Paypal monopoly will gladly invoice you for seller fees even though they won't release your payment to pay said fees.  Sold something in November and received the invoice already.  The funds in paypal won't be released until 12/17.  Thanks!

I think a lot of buyers now know of this practice and are being d*cks about it and purposely not leaving feedback.  The last 2 things I've sold under this new policy have gone with no feedback from the buyer.  Never had that happen in past selling experiences. 

Paypal says they will release the funds if they are able to somehow determine that the item shipped was in fact delivered.  I entered the confirmation number in the details of the transaction.  Doesn't that give them the ability to tell if it was delivered??? How else am I supposed to alert them to delivery. 

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is called  the 21 day hold police.

Ebay/paypal started it because paypal was paying out on the buyer protection program.  Sellers were cleaning out their paypal accounts and not shipping the items or shipping junk.

The holds are released earlier if the d/c showes delivery or the buyer has left feedback

Login to Me Too

RJ
Contributor
Contributor

So does PAYPAL not take their fees until the hold is released? Bet not! What a crappy monopoly this whole Ebay/PayPal thing has become. The only thing that will get the bean counters attention is loss of revenue from disgruntled sellers either quitting or finding another payment venue. I knew something like this was coming when they had the great idea of not allowing MO's for payment. If they were having trouble paying out on their protection plan then maybe they need to revisit their brilliant protection plan instead of **bleep**ing the people that are putting the money in their pockets in the first place. 

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi All,

To clarify, the Seller Protection Policy applies to transactions regardless if they have been held or not. To learn the requirements please check the PayPal User Agreement.

To learn more about payment holds check here:

https://www.paypal.com/paymentholds

Amanda

Login to Me Too

Joseph
Contributor
Contributor

You can say whatever you want, but the truth is that paypal has shown that they have no concern for the people that pay them. My bank can't keep money that belongs to me without my permission, unless they have a court order. What makes paypal any different. I sold something in good faith on ebay, because I needed the money to pay a bill. Now I'm out the product, and the money to ship it. 

I understand the idea of trying to protect people, but doing it without the permission of the other party is underhanded and sneaky. paypal has shown themselves to be less than reputable in this situation

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@Joseph wrote:

I understand the idea of trying to protect people, but doing it without the permission of the other party is underhanded and sneaky. paypal has shown themselves to be less than reputable in this situation

You agreed to the eBay Item Hold when you listed the eBay item and elected to accept PayPal for payment. When listing an item, you are warned that your payment may be held. The following text appears on the eBay Sell Your Item form...

Select at least one approved electronic payment method listed below.

• Learn more about recent changes to the eBay Accepted Payments Policy.

• PayPal may delay the settlement of funds to ensure smooth transactions.
    - Learn more about PayPal's Payment Holds Policy.

Here's a screenshot...

Login to Me Too

Joseph
    Contributor
    Contributor

After doing business with ebay and paypal for years I don't expect to have to read every thing that is printed on your pages in order to do something I've already done numerous times. I did not agree to anything that you are saying. It may have been on the page, but you and I know that doesn't really mean anything. You had my email address and my phone number, and it isn't that difficult to set up an email to let all of your customers know. You send me lots of useless crap in my email all the time, it would have been only proper to send me a notice of this change of policy. What you did is wrong, and there is nothing you can say to get me, or the countless other people who will no longer accept paypal for purchases to believe that you are doing anything that is less than wrong. There are boundaries and there is absolute right and wrong in this world, and you have shown that you are not concerned with the interest of your customers. This is why I have asked to gave my account downgraded to a standard account, I can't see any reason to pay to accept credit cards when I refuse to accept paypal for purchases. I'm sure that there are people who aren't hurt by this policy. But for someone who is just trying to make ends meet, it's difficult to swallow a surprise such as this, especially when you could have sent an email and informed everyone. If you hadn't been trying to sneak this past people, you would have sent an email. 

Login to Me Too

Joseph
    Contributor
    Contributor

By the way for everyone reading, there is a company called BIDPAY that AI'm going to check out. I don't know if they're any better, but I'm hoping so. You may want to check them out, too

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.