Item Stolen in Mail - Am i covered by Paypal Seller Protection??

thiefhater
Contributor
Contributor

I am a 9 year 100% positive ebay seller. I sold a phone to someone in Belgium. I shipped the phone and the post office told me that delivery confirmation nor insurance was available for international packages. I had already shipped 3 and had no problems. This one was $400 and they made me write on the green customs form what the contents was and its value. (which obviously reads "STEAL ME") The post office opened the box, stole the phone, put 2 bottles of hair spray or something in it, retaped it with brown tape and sent it on. I did not use brown tape. The customer in Belgium emailed me in a frantic. He is a young boy and I believe he is being honest. The post office will not help me. The customer filed a dispute with Paypal for item not received as described. I am out $400.00. Paypal is holding our money until they decide who they are going to give it too. I think the Paypal Seller Protection should cover me, but I am sure they are going to side in favor of the buyer and I will just be out the $. It just makes me sick that the post office lied to me and now wont do anything about it. I have filed a complaint with the postal inspectors website, but alot of good that will do.

Also, I put in my ebay ad that the customer is responsible for all shipping charges if purchased internationally. They chose to select first class mail with no insurance. 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

PayPal's Seller Protection Policy does not cover SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) claims or chargebacks. The buyer will most likely win this claim.

Login to Me Too

trish1410
Contributor
Contributor

I am an ebay seller with 100% never had a problem with sending goods to buyer's in the USA always send by ups, but the items I sold were both in the UK so the only way I could send them was by USPS paid shipping on both items, filled out custom form, took to my local post office last monday, one of the seller's emailed my because he had tried to track shipment,no record of goods, I have tried myself today, also spoke to usps, NO HELP Paypal is just as bad you don't even get thru to someone here in USA the call center is in Malaysia, I am very frustrated by everyone being so unhelpful, these two items total 500.00 and are also cell phones . If goods don't arrive who is responsible. Any help please

Login to Me Too

thiefhater
Contributor
Contributor

It took my bag 9 days to arrive in Belgium. The guy had no problem emailing me to ask me what color tape I put on the box and how I packaged it. After I told him that, he gladly sent me photos, so my box did get delivered. But if he is telling the truth than someone at USPS or customers stole the phone and replaced it with hair spray and tape it back up with brown tape. I used clear tape. The post office will not help and we are still waiting on Paypal to decide what to do, but they have taken the money out of my account. If it hasn't been 10 days, then you can assume it hasn't gotten delivered it.

what I don't like is that the Post office makes you fill out the green customs form. I was afraid if I lied and put Beanie Baby $10 instead of cell phone $400, they would x-ray and steal it. So I am **bleep**ed now for being honest and they told me delivery confirmation nor insurance was available. I later found out that it is available but you have to pay for Priority Mail. I had no clue. Good Luck with your situation. I am still waiting a response.  Thanks for asking.

Login to Me Too

penning10

Paypal doesn't seem to do much to protect the seller as they claim.  "Seller Protection: Eligible" is nothing but a proverbial carrot designed to convince a seller they have nothing to worry about when mailing an item. 

What a joke.  I have sent quite a few items to Malaysia in the last few months which have been covered under "Seller Protection", only to lose about $1200 so far in "unauthorized transaction" chargebacks.  I followed all the rules, did exactly what Paypal said to do, and still lost to the dispute.  So at what point am I actually covered?  11 years on eBay selling,  and Paypal does nothing but claim they "Worked hard on my behalf".  What exactly does that mean?  Telling the CC company that I sent the item in one phone call?  With the call center being located in Malaysia, I can almost bet there is some "inside jobs" taking place.

'Seller protection' is an outright lie and this needs to be removed from Paypal payments as I have yet to see 'Seller Protection' protect me as of yet.  Why do the honest guys always lose?  The more I learn of the system, the more I am drawn to abuse it (I'm joking of course.  Cheating/stealing is not my style)

Login to Me Too

peagoo

we have a web site and sell on ebay.  We will ship first class to canada, japan,UK and austrailia ONLY!!! Everywhere else must ship priority. We have been burned like you a couple times but not for the amount you are talking about. Priority includes tracking and some insurance. I always pay the dollar or two more for full insurance just to cover my own butt. It's a hard lesson but I'll bet you won't do it again... We sure won't

Login to Me Too

Shania1965
Contributor
Contributor

You stated that 'Priority Mail' has "a Little" insurance attached to the total price. What is this amount ?

Login to Me Too

biff111
Contributor
Contributor

I am outraged that buyers can claim the package arrived with nothing in it and the seller then gets charged back for it. What a joke!  You send it - it gets stolen and you are responsible.  That is just WRONG!   With the fees paypal charges, THEY should reimburse the buyer in those situations - NOT the seller!!!  Is there a way to NOT use paypal when selling on eBay? Seems a mononpoly to me.

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

The eBay Accepted Payments Policy explains which payment methods can be used on eBay... here's the links...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/accepted-payment-methods.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

what I don't like is that the Post office makes you fill out the green customs form

You don't have a choice there - it's a federal law.  Without it, your parcel would likely be seized and destroyed when entering a foreign country.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.