Is this a legit transaction?

Buttons
Contributor
Contributor

I posted some lighting equipment on Craigslist.  One man wrote me back offering about half the asking price and requesting that I give him my paypal info and mail it to him priority mail.  I wrote back and said that I had an offer for closing to the asking price.  Here is one of the emails, something doesn't smell right but I cannot put my finger on it.  The person did write back after this and offer me the full $1500 asking price and again requested my palpal email address for instant payment:

Hello,
Thanks for getting back to me on time,i will like to buy this item and Am quite comfortable with the condition of the item since i wont be making any repairs on it,and i will be very more than happy if you can help me get this item shipped, and am willing to offer $61750 to include the shipping fees through the  USPS Express mail service,and i will be paying you through my PayPal account so send me your PayPal email address for instant payment..

"Lord, with these hands we could end life, but allow me to use them to save so many more."
"I have no ambition in this world but one and that is to be a FIREMAN. The position may in
the eyes of some appear to be a lowly one. But we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives." - Issac
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Craigslist is a great place to meet scammers.   Here's some tips:

One of the most common red flags is that the buyer wants to sent you the money via your PayPal email address. Normally as the seller, you send the buyer an email invoice or the purchase is processed through your web page or site. Also, if plan to be a seller, you should have either a Premier or Business Account. You will run into limitations trying to use a Personal Account.

Next common red flag, the buyer wants the item delivered to another country and recommends a specific shipping service for you to use

Another red flag, buyer offers to pay more than you're asking or is requesting shipment ASAP to an unconfirmed address or another state or country.

Beware when the seller wants you to send him the money for a purchase but you are asked to send the money as a "Gift".
This means that the seller is trying to avoid paying the transaction fees and also makes it hard for you to prove you actually purchased an item.

You can protect yourself in several ways:
Do not sell to non-US PayPal Accounts.
Require a "Confirmed Address" meaning that the shipping and billing address must be the same.
Opt to not accept eChecks.
Block payments from Student account users under 18 years old.

These are all options you can enable from within your PayPal Account Profile.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

luvstampin
Contributor
Contributor

Also they want it shipped EXPRESS mail - it will be out of the country before you figure you have been scammed and cannot stop it at that point.

STOP all communication with the scammer

Login to Me Too

Buttons
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree and have discontinued any communications with the person.  He gave me his mailing address and I checked it on google maps.  It's a hotel in California.  I asked him why to a hotel and he said he works there.  I think the thing I would point out to other people is (1) this person did not ask me for my phone number or provide me with his; (2) this was a spendy item (over $1,500) and he never inquired into the condition or questioned to make sure it was what the add entailed; (3) every email says "provide me with your PayPal email address and get paid instantly".  They need a new line.

Login to Me Too

desire
Contributor
Contributor

This scammer found me on craigslist too and gave me an address to ship my item to in CA to some cheap hotel I mapped out on google. Its a good thing we both didn't trust this guy. His name is Charlie Walker in the emails. He also ended his email with the same quote. Here is the email. Too bad paypal doesn't let u post his email address and the hotel address on here b/c I definitely would!!!

Hello,
Thanks for getting back to me on time,i will like to buy this item and Am quite comfortable with the condition of the item since i wont be making any repairs on it,and i will be very more than happy if you can help me get this item shipped, and am willing to offer $350 to include the shipping fees through the  USPS Express mail service,and i will be paying you through my PayPal account so send me your PayPal email address for instant payment..

"Lord, with these hands we could end life, but allow me to use them to save so many more."
"I have no ambition in this world but one and that is to be a FIREMAN. The position may in
the eyes of some appear to be a lowly one. But we who know the work which the fireman has to
do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives." - Issac

Login to Me Too

Buttons
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, my guy is Charlie Walker too.  What were you trying to sell?  You feel for people who don't investigate before sending off their merchandise.  I wonder how this guy pulls off his scam.

Login to Me Too

desire
Contributor
Contributor

I was selling a cell phone on craigslist and yes I definitely am trying to help anyone so they won't get scammed like I did 3 years ago when I was looking for a sk phone to buy off of ebay. Some guy emailed me after the bidding was over saying that he was the seller and I could still get the item b/c the person that outbid me changed their mind so I was next in line and I actually believed this guy. He gave me an address to western union money to and I did and then lost $120 to this scammer who I reported but nothing was ever done to bring me justice and its really sad. So now I'm suspicious of everyone online selling/buying things online.

Login to Me Too

Buttons
Contributor
Contributor

That's great you're trying to stop these people.  Almost every time I list something on Craigslist or Ebay I get at least one you know isn't as legitimate.  It is usually distinguishable because they are not interested in knowing about the condition.  First clue, I guess.  In this instance I was trying to sell of Craigslist and Charlie was from LA....clue number two.  What is he doing checking Portland Craigslist ads...legit, maybe, but it always makes me wonder.  One of mine asked me to ship to Saudi Arabia....and they would pay send me after I shipped.  Funny.

Login to Me Too

desire
Contributor
Contributor
Yea I always get at least 1 that's a scammer too and it's crazy nowadays that its safer to meet someone in person to sell them your item then it is to ship it somewhere...
Login to Me Too

CHartman
Contributor
Contributor

So basically if the buyer wants the item shipped internationally to an address other than their confirmed Paypal address...that should be the RED FLAG that the transaction is going to end up SCAMming me?  My first clue this is a scam is that they're offering me $100 more than my asking price plus $120 for shipping.  Im afraid of getting a dispute filed against me for one thing or another and losing the money AND my new laptop Im selling.

Below is the email content from 3 emails from my potential scammer:

Good day,
    I am Very interested and would like to buy,please contact me if available.

Hello again,
   Thank for the response,Am still interested in your listed item.i wanna make an urgent purchase of it for my client ..i'm offering you $550 for the item and i will paying $120 for the shipment...am out of state right now therefore,i wont be able to come and pay you cash for this.So I will be paying for this via PayPal so kindly send me a money request from PayPal or get back to me or with your paypal email so i can proceed with the payment.
Thanks and God bless you.

I live in Seattle but i am in Mexico on business trip,As said  i am buying it for my my client as wedding present and due to my new job  i can make it to the wedding and if i ask you to send it to me,i will not make the shipping before the wedding so that is why i want you to help in this and i will be very grateful for your help and understanding.So get back to me with PayPal invoice.i will be waiting to hear from you now..

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.