Is this a fake Paypal Emai

Simon
Contributor
Contributor

Dear valued PayPal.com member,

It has come to our attention that your PayPal.com account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Please update your records on or before November 10, 2009. Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

Thank You. PayPal Update Team Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, PayPal will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

Frances
Contributor
Contributor

I too have received this email and wondered whether it is for real.  The subject is:  Notification : Update Your Account Information and the originator of the email is:  http://www.ismailyk-***.com/catalog//images/www.paypal.com/www.paypal.com/index.htm.

I really hope it isn't a fake because I've updated my details.  If it is a fake, please advise what I need to do, aside from cancelling my credit card details.  

Login to Me Too

jfal50
Contributor
Contributor

i would check my statements from my cards and close them or change your account numbers

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thank You. PayPal Update Team Accounts Management

No such team..spoof e-mail

Forward to spoof @ Paypal.com

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Everyone-

Thanks for passing along the spoof@paypal.com email address, profdata! 

I'd add to that we have a great Online Safety Essentials area of our Security Center (linked from the top of most PayPal pages) with information about how to spot Phishing Emails, get tools to help identify PayPal messages and ways to protect oneself from online identity theft.   There are even links to other resources within and outside of PayPal.

One of the tips in this area is that PayPal will always greet you by your first and last name, not "Valued PayPal Customer" or "PayPal Account Holder." 

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

jfal50
Contributor
Contributor

i think it is fake  i tried going to your link and my computer blocked it saying it was a phishing site

Login to Me Too

horsedrover

Yes, it is.  I too have been plaqued with the same email.  Just read tge security guidelines and it will explain that "PayPal does not send email asking you tou update information".  And, as you seem to have done, report and try to send the email if you hav ANY suspicions.  CALL PayPal and check on it at the very least!Robot wink

Login to Me Too

Heather
Contributor
Contributor

SCAM

If you log into your paypal account > click on security center > click on Phishing Scam >

You can read about it.

Here is a basic explanation.

Spoof and phishing (pronounced "fishing") are the terms coined to describe emails made to look like they've come from legitimate companies but that actually come from identity thieves. These emails warn you of account problems or other urgent issues to trick you into clicking through to a scam website. The scam website asks you to enter your user name and password or other account information. Once you do this, you've given your information to someone who might use it to do you harm.

Login to Me Too

Contributor
Contributor

I have received two of those same FAKE emails this month. I forwarded them to spoof@paypal , with no response. Glad I found this forum !  I knew right away they were FAKE , having received them in the past .

Login to Me Too

juve13

They should post a list of e-mails that are known scams. Lets all chip in.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.