If noted NO REFUNDS, how can a buyer get a refund?

godzilla
New Community Member

If you clearly state NO REFUNDS on Ebay listing, how can Paypal make a claim against you (seller)? Im very disappointed with the handling of such case and am contemplating about quitting Paypal.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Jason
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi godzilla-

It is within a buyer's rights to dispute a transaction if they are not satisfied with the outcome, be that through PayPal or through their financial institution.  These are rights given to them by the financial institutions whose funds are sent through PayPal.  This is outlined in Section 13.9 of our User Agreement, and notes that credit card chargeback rights are broader than PayPal's own policies.

I understand that this is not a satisfactory situation for you, but have you checked the returns policy for others selling similar items on eBay?  PayPal does offer the ability to extend partial refunds if you sold in a category, for example, where others charged a percentage as a restocking fee on returns...offering some level of recourse may keep a buyer from escalating something to a dispute.   Additionally, based on your complete sales picture, are you running into a high percentage of buyers requesting refunds? Would the potential loyalty built by an occasional replacement or refund outweigh an issue being escalated to a dispute?  These answers could be different based on the categories you sell in or prior situations you've encountered.

If PayPal is not the best fit for your business needs, I would recommend checking with other solutions about their policies on chargebacks and disputes, as these are industry policies, not limited to PayPal.

Based on your circumstances, you might also see if other Community Members have suggestions they'd like to contribute here from on their own experiences with return policies. 

Thanks,

Jason

Login to Me Too

Tnt

Jason, if paypal is a facilitator of money transfers as indicated above regarding banking laws and credit card rights, however, if the buyer decided to pay by other electronic funds such as a checking or savings account then this would be considered a cash sale and therefore there would be no consumer protection.  The point here is that Paypal takes their cut without a hold on their money while holding seller funds in "escrow".  By Federal and State laws if funds are held by a third party then interest must be paid-is this the case?  Also, for example in my case and almost all cases shipping is to be paid by the buyer and that money should not be held for any reason and should be immediately available even if a requirement was made to ship through the paypal system to UPS or USPS.  I agree that there must be safeguards for both the seller and buyer, but it has to be looked at that there is a contract between the seller and Ebay for posting the item for a cost to sell and then there is a separate contract between the seller and buyer for a purchase price, shipping and payment-payment would then determine if there was a hold so I believe that based on a cash, echeck transaction that it would be against the law to hold those funds as that is against the contract between buyer and seller and would supersede all other contracts.

Login to Me Too

perfektlys
New Community Member

I have experienced quite a few of these similar issuses and am VERY upset about the "seller protection" that paypal provides.   My most recent problem is a pair of shoes that I sold on eBay, the buyer received them and left me positive feedback about how great the shoes were.  Now they have informed me that the shoes are too small and that they are returning them. The buyer stated that I did not list the measurments of the shoes in my listing.  However I CLEARLY stated ALL measurements and sizes of the item.  I also have a CLEARLY stated NO RETURNS/NO EXCHANGES policy on all of my listings.  They didn't not wait until I responded to their query about returning the items, I have already received a email that included a tracking and the note that these shoes have already been put in the mail for return.

I am VERY disturbed to think that the buyer received the shoes, left me feedback because they were happy with the transaction, wore the shoes, and now want to return them and I am going to HAVE to give their money back. 

Has paypal EVER sided with the seller in a dispute????  I don't see a reason to even have a dispute system if it is not impartial and fair!

Login to Me Too

bonnie1158

I am curious about that.  I just sent a $6000.00 sewing Embroidery machine, that is computerized.  Now, she paid a total of 2500.00 for my almost new machine.  Now, she stated thank you for the careful packing but I seem to be missing the middle of one of the three hoops. Which I know was there.  I have tried to contact her 6 times asking her how she would like the hoop replaced?  No answer in two days now. I am willing to purchase the 4x4 hoop or send her the money to buy one near her hometown.  There will be a wait of 1 week for a hoop from me.  I am trying to resolve this because I do not want to take the chance of the machine being shipped back and it being an electronic, I don't want to chance getting it back broken.  Now if Paypal is going to okay a return for the sake of a 35.00 hoop that I am more than willing to replace.   I have offered her 6 times to make it right, no reply.  I would consider that unfair that she could possibly get a refund and I could get possibly get a broken machine back.  That does not protect the seller.  Maybe Ebay isn't for me, this has kept me up and a headache trying to fix this.  Being new to Ebay, my brother helped me by selling it on his ebay account.  How can it be fair when you know the machine was in mint condition and what if she just changed her mind?  She could just say it is missing the inside of a hoop and get her money back.   I hope not!  Worried!

Login to Me Too

todd
Contributor
Contributor

Do What We Did.

Take out NO REFUNDS completely on ALL your auctions..

WHY ?

Cuz EVERY customers that pay using Paypal can get a REFUND on Items you sell.. All they need to do is claim items were not as described ..

Thats it.

They need to do nothing more.

AND

Paypal will force you to take the refund AND RENFUND the shipping ALSO ..

Its just the way it is .. If you dont like it .. Too Bad .. Its called there way or the highway .. 🙂

Login to Me Too

hogwild99
Contributor
Contributor

If pp does refund a payment on a no refund item, does pp refund shipping costs? Does pp wait for buyer to return the item? Do I lose all money and item shipped?

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@hogwild99 wrote:

If pp does refund a payment on a no refund item, does pp refund shipping costs? Does pp wait for buyer to return the item? Do I lose all money and item shipped?

PayPal will refund the entire original payment amount including the original shipping charge. In a SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) claim, PayPal will generally require the buyer to first return the item.

Login to Me Too

hogwild99
Contributor
Contributor

OK. First of all, I make positively accurate descriptions. Thats why I use "no return" policy. Buyer knows if  they want it or not. Will buyer pay for return costs when shipping back to me? What do you mean by "generally"? How can I buy what I want from an ebay seller and demand a refund and still keep the item? I'm just trying to learn how pp can help scam artists. I may quit selling and just get free items from ebay via pp. I can see already that I can use a credit card via pp and when I get the item I can have my credit card company remove the charges for any reason. Am I correct? Don't get me wrong, I've never had anyone challange my for a refund YET. Thanks for any help you can give me.   Hogwild99.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.