Hold on payments after delivery is confirmed?

nwGamers
New Community Member

I want to know you're experiences with this hold policy. I have sold multiple items on eBay and I always get a tracking number when I ship an item. I have confirmation that the items have been delivered but I still have holds on the money. I have also added the tracking numbers to paypal and to eBay. I have not however received any feedback yet. It has only been a few days since the items have been delivered but I want to know if I'm going to have to wait the full 20 day hold or if anyone has experience with this and can tell me how long it takes. Thanks

Login to Me Too
363 REPLIES 363

paintedeagle09
Contributor
Contributor

hey SM 1715, It's not everone with no rating that's bad. A few years ago I was very active on ebay buying and selling sports cards. That dried up and went away. Just recently I got the hankering to buy a metal detector and had to sign up all over again thus loosing the excellent rating I once had. Just because Ebay couldn't find me in their records. In selling sports cards I used to  be able to stipulate payment as cashiers check, money order or cash and infact received over $270 in cash for a card I was selling. Yes that was crazy to send that in the mail. Now days it's all about paypal and how they can use and abuse peoples money. I sold a camera last week that stated No Refunds and in the ad I wrote about the camera said "sold AS IS". I have attempted to reach the buyer 5 times and have record of this, to leave feedback so I can receive my money that paypal is holding. This also leads me to wonder if the buyer has received any of my emails. The emails were sent through Ebay. Hmmmmmm. Anyway, once I receive my money and the money I have paid out for a metal detector is forwarded to the seller, I am immediately leaving the seller feedback so hopefully paypal releases his funds. After that never ever again will I return to Ebay or Paypal.

Login to Me Too

AIP100
Contributor
Contributor

but what can I bill with?

Login to Me Too

sm1715
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paintedeagle, I am sorry, I did not mean to make it sound like I was against new ebay members. I was one too at one point! Recently my buyers have been college students in a rush for a book, so I've had a lot of 0,1,2 star people, and most of them are just fine! It's just that it was too much of a coincidence for the funds of the bad apple to be placed on hold. I believe SOMETHING caused that transaction to go on hold, not that it was random, and if it is something that she said or did, I don't think it's fair that the word of an un-established person was used against me, who has an excellent record. Maybe it is coincidence, but I doubt it.

I had posted a question in the ebay forum about what to do with her, at the time that I was having problems, and there was a really nasty guy on there who shouted at me and said I was stupid for thinking emails were any type of proof, etc. (and I didn't do anything to him!) and supposedly I had my listing in the wrong category (other ebay members didn't think so). I sent him a message telling him he was rude and had no reason to talk to me that way and he could have given me advice nicely. Well he sent me back a message calling me all kinds of names (seriously something wrong with this very angry person). Sorry if all that didn't make sense - I was trying to make a long story short. Anyway, I was wondering if another ebay member reported your listing, would paypal do something like this, since supposedly they place holds when ebay tells them to? I would not put it past that guy to report my listing out of spite. I was selling access codes for an online math class, that came in their own envelope, so I had a physical product. But some of these students couldn't wait for USPS to deliver it, so I emailed the code. But, I also offered shipping (and the last few I emailed AND shipped).  There was a debate as to whether my category was correct, because emailed stuff has to be under classifieds. However, I did have a physical product to be mailed, I was just sending part of it to be HELPFUL via email. I don't know. But I am wondering if mean guy had something to do with it.

I asked another friendly member if this was possible, and she was insistent that no, another member reporting your listing could not make your funds go on hold, but that was just one person's answer. Does anyone know if this type of thing ever happens? I don't know anything about reporting listings because I mind my own business and don't do things to hurt other people.

I don't know of how else to sell stuff and be successful without using paypal. They're just too dang convenient. Nobody wants to wait for a check in the mail.

Sharon

Login to Me Too

Comdico

The biggest joke in all of this is that they hold your money--including the money the buyer gave you to ship the item--but have no problem at all taking their fees from these so-called "frozen" funds. It's a slap in the face. And, why is it incumbent upon the seller to report to ebay that the item has been delivered? I entered the tracking number, why desn't the system automate this? It's absurd.

I've been a PayPal user since the beginning but this is intolerable and I am not likely to use the service any longer unless this insanity ends.

Login to Me Too

karen47
Contributor
Contributor

you pose some very good and valid points - my first reaction was extreme anger because i am between a rock and a hard place financially, and have excellent feedback, then went to getting even, and now giving it a try to Make I t Work!! good luck to us all.....

Login to Me Too

xxever17xx

A bit late, but PayPal is doing it randomly, apparently.

I am **bleep**. I just sold an Apple iPod to someone with 100% positive feed back. I have 100% Positive feed back. No disputes, no anything. And they held my money! What the **bleep** is this?

Login to Me Too

SheltonMac
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a small victory, with a hint that Paypal might understand its wrong.

Last night I called to complain about funds being held days after confirmed delivery, for 1 of 3 auctions that had recently ended - 2 of which I hadnt gotten around to shipping yet.  After getting told that delivery confirmation wasnt going to be good enough (seemed odd after it had worked for the previous 9 auctions), I demanded to talk to the supervisor - who told me that now they were not only insisting on waiting on delivery confirmation, but also buyer feedback.  I demanded to know what interest rate Paypal was paying me for the funds held in escrow - for which she told me that she couldnt tell me that information as it is 'confidential' (note that they didnt try to tell me that Paypal wasnt supposed to pay interest).  I went up a couple more steps (through supervisors and supposedly a transfer to a legal dept), and each step they kept telling me that they couldnt tell me the interest rate they owe me (or all of us), as it's labeled 'confidential' - finally I told the person (from their legal dept?) to explain how disclosure of interest rates to me could be blocked in light of the Fair Credit Reporting Acts, and the guy asked me who told me this - I responded that I was told by CT's (my state) AG's office had told me that they must be paying me interest on any funds held in kind of escrow - there was a long pause, and then the guy told me the funds were released.  While still on the phone, I refreshed the page for my account, and found that he had done something, and all the funds (from all 3 auctions) were released - through 3 seperate release actions.  Now I'm waiting on payment from an auction that ended today to see if the funds will be held - or if that guy did something to my account to allow the funds to always be released right away.

The main thing that bugs me now if how they never denied that I should be getting paid interest, but only that I'm not allowed to be told how much.  Strange???

Login to Me Too

jayna5paige
Contributor
Contributor

Wow - that does sound most peculiar! - to put it mildly.  I think it sounds kind of encouraging in that they did not deny that there is a possibility, that maybe some interest might be due to you - or - in general - those of us who have had our funds wrongly held.  However, as small of a baby step as it seems at the moment, this news could actually prove to be a giant step for the many paypal victims ( not sure what to call "us" yet, but maybe something like -  THE ESSV =  "EBAY SHAME SCAM VICTIMS").  It sounds like you were happy to get your money and continue on.  As I was myself after the first wrongful hold.  I was confused - why hold my money?  I was ashamed - what is wrong with me that they are holding my money?   -  And a slogan I just thought of...    PAYPAL=JAILPAL !!!!    What they have done, and continue to do, is WRONG!!!    They willingly and knowingly committed crimes against innocent citizens.  Their actions are far reaching and have consequences that are spindelling through families and communities all over the world.  I wish I was exagerating.  I would not be surprised if criminal charges are filed at some point.  And, as far as I am concerned, the sooner the better!!!  

Most of us were just trying to make ends meet and we were bullied and pushed and the consequences are far reaching.  People unable to make payments because funds could not be transferred to checking accounts.  Then overdraft charges and accounts being closed and late charges accumulating, etc, etc.  People had to close their stores and lose their source of income!   The dollar amount could be staggering.  Again I wish I were exagerating.

Thanks for letting me vent.  Check out letssuepaypal.com they deserve it!

Login to Me Too

luvstampin
Contributor
Contributor

SheltonMac -WOW! It makes it look like that supervisor knows you are correct and it is a silent admission of guilt.

He knew you were stating facts and released all your funds to appease you probably hoping you don't push this further or tell anyone.

THANK YOU for sharing.

Login to Me Too

temp201811152e
Contributor
Contributor

yo it took forever for the recipient to receive my package he stated there was no notice left at his door but I sent several messages to him over ebay and he never responded. So I have to be delayed because my recipient doesn't pay attention?

Luckily when he picked up the package from the post office paypal released my money in a couple hours but I told them it won't keep me from pursuing a class action lawsuit because this is an unfair policy.  When this initially happened the person on the phone line told me it was something they do randomly. I beg to differ.

I also ordered a jawbone on ebay previously and I sent it back because the serial number was missing. I have yet to receive a replacement. By now I purchased a Plantronics Discovery 975 because the Jawbone was inefficient and ineffective anyway. If and when I receive my replacement jawbone I'm selling it but not on ebay. In fact I'm probably not going to sell anything else on ebay and from now on I will only use paypal to send invoices.

This is bull**bleep**.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.