Have No Money In PayPal Account, will money be pulled from bank?

MrCy
New Community Member

I have money in my paypal account, but not much, I currently fund it with MoneyPaks but I dont like paying the service fee. I could pull money out of my bank account into paypal, but that takes too long.

So if I make a purchase online, and I do not have enough money in my PayPal account, will the rest of the money be taken out of my bank account that is associated with PayPal? I would like to do it this way, but I am not sure what happens. Is this a normal way of paying? Will PayPal charge me any fees for paying this way? Will I get "in trouble" with paypal or my bank? Or is this a completely acceptable way of paying?

thanks

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

3scaflown3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MrCy,

when a customer has PP balance in his acct, the system always takes it as a primary funding source, it will be the first thing to use to pay, if it is not enough to cover your payment, then you will be asked to complete it with a backup funding source, there is where you can choose your bank acct.

that's perfectly valid, do not worry about doing something "wrong" or "illegal"

hope it works, have a nice day.

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

Note, PayPal does not split funding sources.  For example, if you have $10 in your PayPal Account Balance and you purchase an item that cost $13, PayPal will leave the $10 in your Account Balance and take the $13 from your Primary Backup Funding Source which in most cases is your linked Bank Account.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

luvstampin
Contributor
Contributor

They do take the Paypal funds first then use 1 back up for the remainder.

I recently did this and do it quite a bit.

Say I had $10 in PP

I place a $30 order so $10 will come from PP and then $20 will come from my backup choice.

YOu cannot split the charge between credit card and bank but you can use the remainder in PP plus a backup method.

THIS IS HOW IT WILL LOOK TO USE PAYPAL & A BACKUP METHOD FOR 1 TRANSACTION
Funding Type:    
    PayPal Funds and Instant Transfer
Funding Source:    
    $12.88 USD - PayPal Account
$9.36 USD - xxxxxxx BANK

Login to Me Too

napb
New Community Member

I just sent money to my contractor and they did do a split payment with my Pay Pal balance and the rest with my debit visa. 

Login to Me Too

bbridge
New Community Member

If I need more money in my account, how do I specify drawing from a credit card and not bank account?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.